Menu

What is the typical US math sequence for K-12?

In public school with a traditional algebra, geometry, algebra II, pre-calculus/trigonometry, calculus. Or the Integrated Math track would be IM 1, 2, pre-calculus/trigonometry, calculus.

The minimum highest required math would be algebra 1 by graduation. 

Standard accelerated track would have a student do AP Calculus AB or BC by senior year. Some schools offer only AB, others AB and BC each over one year. Sometimes, a BC is offered that compressed AB/BC into one year. Beyond that is possible, but you are usually at a very high performing school that offers multivariable calculus or doing DE or outsourcing to do this. 

You work backwards from where you want to be. If AB, then you need to start IM1 or Algebra 1 by 8th grade. If BC by senior year then 7th grade. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

What I have seen most frequently:

. . . . . . . . . remedial . . . . . . . standard #1 . . .standard #2 . . accelerated

grade 6 . . . math topics . . . . . grade 6 math . . grade 7 math . .  Pre-Algebra
grade 7 . . . math topics . . . . . grade 7 math . . .Pre-Algebra . .   Algebra 1
grade 8 . . . math topics . . . .  Pre-Algebra . . .   Algebra 1 . . . . . Geometry
grade 9 . . . Pre-Algebra. . . .   Algebra 1 . . . . . . Geometry . . . . . Algebra 2
grade 10 . . Algebra 1  . . . .      Geometry . . . . . .Algebra 2. . . . .   Pre-Calculus
grade 11 . . .Geometry . . . . . .  Algebra 2 . . . . . .Pre-Calculus .    Calculus
grade 12 . . Consumer Math    Pre-Calculus . . . Calculus . . . . . . Statistics, Advanced Math, post-Calculus, etc.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

. . . . . . . . . remedial . . . . . . . standard #1 . . .standard #2 . . accelerated

grade 6 . . . math topics . . . . . grade 6 math . . grade 7 math . .  Pre-Algebra
grade 7 . . . math topics . . . . . grade 7 math . . .Pre-Algebra . .   Algebra 1
grade 8 . . . math topics . . . .  Pre-Algebra . . .   Algebra 1 . . . . . Geometry
grade 9 . . . Pre-Algebra. . . .   Algebra 1 . . . . . . Geometry . . . . . Algebra 2
grade 10 . . Algebra 1  . . . .      Geometry . . . . . .Algebra 2. . . . .   Pre-Calculus
grade 11 . . .Geometry . . . . . .  Algebra 2 . . . . . .Pre-Calculus .    Calculus
grade 12 . . Consumer Math    Pre-Calculus . . . Calculus . . . . . . Statistics, Advanced Math, post-Calculus, etc.

Aside from this there is sometimes also an accounting or business track with a variety of accounting classes after Geometry.  

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I have heard of all of these. There is also a thread going on right now about a middle school offering algebra in 6th.

So while there is a "typical US math sequence" as in a usual order of classes, there really isn't a standard grade for algebra 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

So while there is a "typical US math sequence" as in a usual order of classes, there really isn't a standard grade for algebra 1.

I think it's incredibly dependent on geographic area and the demand for the classes. So in a place where there are lots of ambitious techie parents, the "normal sequence" will look quite different than in a place where there aren't. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

What is the standard, non accelerated math sequence for US schools? What is the standard grade to study algebra 1, and what is the usual minimum highest level of math for high school graduation?

What is the standard accelerated track?

It depends of the district, but either 8th or 9th grade for algebra 1, 7th for accelerated, and sometimes even 6th.

Minimum level for graduation in WA is Algebra 1, geometry, and a "third credit of math."  Our district does not offer any courses lower than Algebra 1, though they do have what they call "Contextual Algebra" which apparently uses a history overlay to engage students, and I believe is for the students who aren't ready for the regular Algebra 1 class.

The accelerated track here is entering Algebra 1 in 7th grade, doing honors geometry in 8th, honors Algebra 2 in 9th, and honors precalculus in 10th, AP Calculus BC in 11th.

They used to allow a very few kids to do Algebra 1 in 6th grade, then they finished BC Calc in 10th.  This freed them up to do whatever math they wanted during the last two years.  My son was in this cohort once he entered school in 9th and he was able to take AP Statistics and then a post-AP class in his last two years which he ended up loving.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EKS said:

They used to allow a very few kids to do Algebra 1 in 6th grade, then they finished BC Calc in 10th.  This freed them up to do whatever math they wanted during the last two years.  My son was in this cohort once he entered school in 9th and he was able to take AP Statistics and then a post-AP class in his last two years which he ended up loving.

It looks like they are still doing that some places, as is mentioned on another thread.

It's interesting to see what is happening in various districts. San Francisco and Berkeley went the other direction and made a controversial decision to eliminate algebra in middle school. It's taught in 9th grade now. Previously CA has a statewide policy of Algebra 1 taught in 8th grade which was dropped in 2010 with Common Core standards adopted. I know that the friends and family I have in the area are paying to go Algebra 1 and beyond outside of the school system. Though technically there is no Algebra 1 for most of CA since most school districts follow an Integrated Math sequence now.

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/a-bold-effort-to-end-algebra-tracking-shows-promise/2018/06

Edited by calbear
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, calbear said:

It's interesting to see what is happening in various districts. San Francisco and Berkeley went the other direction and made a controversial decision to eliminate algebra in middle school. It's taught in 9th grade now. Previously CA has a statewide policy of Algebra 1 taught in 8th grade which was dropped in 2010 with Common Core standards adopted. I know that the friends and family I have in the area are paying to go Algebra 1 and beyond outside of the school system. Though technically there is no Algebra 1 for most of CA since most school districts follow an Integrated Math sequence now.

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/a-bold-effort-to-end-algebra-tracking-shows-promise/2018/06

I think it’s the Jo Boaler direction... I’m not a fan.

I think, on average, most places in the US aim to have the majority of students start Algebra I in ninth grade.

Of course there are plenty of kids who vary from that in both directions. But I think most places want most students to be ready for Algebra I, at the very least, when they start high school.

But, other high school math tracks are offered knowing that not every student will be ready and some will have already taken Algebra I in middle school/junior high.

Just my observations from having experience with high schools across the country and American schools overseas.

• Like 2