Menu

Olfactory hallucinations and covid

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I’m back in the never ending saga of weird post Covid symptoms.  My sense of smell has started coming back—yay!  And now I’m smelling burnt meat almost all the time.  Even when there’s nothing around that smells at all.  I did some research and Yep. It’s a neurological after effect of Covid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/search/research-news/11390/

I also buried a coworker today who caught Covid on the job.  He had every medical condition in the world and was morbidly obese, so he knew he was very high risk but chose not to take the early retirement that was offered.  This virus is horrible on so many levels.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Sad 27

• Mrs Tiggywinkle changed the title to Olfactory hallucinations and covid

I lost my taste and smell years ago with the flu and I still have it happen a few times a year. In the beginning it was more often, like every month or two. Mine is usually cigarette smoke and I will spend days smelling it. Sometimes I will think something is actually burning and dh will inform me it’s just my messed up nose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I lost my taste and smell years ago with the flu and I still have it happen a few times a year. In the beginning it was more often, like every month or two. Mine is usually cigarette smoke and I will spend days smelling it. Sometimes I will think something is actually burning and dh will inform me it’s just my messed up nose.

One of my NP friends says gabapentin is being used off label for this.  I have an appointment Monday and I’m going to see if it’s something we can try.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

One of my NP friends says gabapentin is being used off label for this.  I have an appointment Monday and I’m going to see if it’s something we can try.

I know Covid is awful but I’ve been happy with the attention the loss of taste and smell with a virus is getting. I’m really hoping something comes out of it that could possibly help me. I’ve had no taste/smell and the weird phantom smells for almost seven years now. I was just told it happens but now it seems many are trying to figure out a way to help. 

I’m sorry for all you’ve been going through with it though.

• Like 5

someone mentioned this on another thread, I don't know if you have looked into it.

the relationship between covid and the vagus nerve.  so-called because in latin it means wanderer.  it goes everywhere.  stimulating it might help some of that recover faster.  

eta: i don't know, just someone else mentioned a link in another thread about an entirely different subject.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

someone mentioned this on another thread, I don't know if you have looked into it.

the relationship between covid and the vagus nerve.  so-called because in latin it means wanderer.  it goes everywhere.  stimulating it might help some of that recover faster.  

eta: i don't know, just someone else mentioned a link in another thread about an entirely different subject.

Covid and the vagus nerve are being studied as well as some of the devices that stimulate the vagus nerve. I’m not really following it for Covid, but here are some articles and studies, if interested:

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+vagus+nerve&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This is also so weird.  Everytime I turn around, there is another medication that I am already taking that is being used in COVID or post COVID>  I take the extended release version, Gralise, becaause I had such a bad experience with non extended release.

I had olfactory hallucinations before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashi's). It was always phantom smoke that I smelled. I went through the house SO many times anxiously looking for something burning, because that's exactly what it smelled like. It was crazy making.

• Sad 1