Menu

Anyone done DexaFit Scan or Bod Pod?

ktgrok

Wondering if it is worth it? I can buy a Groupon for a Dexafit Scan for $67, and I think I can do a Bod Pod for about $50. Anyone do either of these? 

https://www.dexafit.com/services/dexa-scan

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/bod-pod/img-20008079#:~:text=A Bod Pod is a,your percentage of body fat.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

• ktgrok changed the title to Anyone done DexaFit Scan or Bod Pod?

oh...the Dexa one also identifies bone density issues - my mom and grandmother have/had osteoporosis. My grandmother was breaking bones just opening her sliding glass door, and my mom was nearly as bad, but got on the heavy duty medication for it. So doing that scan actually would be good just for that. And it is $63, with the groupon, which seems reasonable. 

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

oh...the Dexa one also identifies bone density issues - my mom and grandmother have/had osteoporosis. My grandmother was breaking bones just opening her sliding glass door, and my mom was nearly as bad, but got on the heavy duty medication for it. So doing that scan actually would be good just for that. And it is $63, with the groupon, which seems reasonable. 

I would do it, but I'd wait a year until the virus is more under control. On my list that would be important but not urgent. 

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I would do it, but I'd wait a year until the virus is more under control. On my list that would be important but not urgent. 

I admit you are right as far as total safety goes. But, in balancing my risks day in and day out, and my overall health, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I was able to get the first appointment in the morning, and masks are required, only two people in the room including me, and they don't need to stay close to me - can distance supposedly. I'm really pushing to get under the obese marker this year, and have signed up for a six month fitness challenge as part of that. Having my body composition numbers at the start and at the end (maybe a 3 month scan as well) I think will really help motivate me - I find the science aspect, as well as the personalized aspect, really motivating. 

So I think that I will go, but the scan takes 6 minutes, they said 10-15 for the whole getting on the table, running the test, and waiting for results if I read it right. That short of time around one person, both masked, with 6 ft distancing for most or all of it, I think I'm willing to do - barring anything crazy happening before then with numbers here, and I reserve the right to walk out if it seems they are not following safety guidelines. 

I am very curious to see how my bone density is as well, as I am supposed to be taking calcium as a bariatric patient and..well..I'm not. They all make my stomach feel icky, so far. (and I can't swallow large pills, so am stuck with chewable). If I'm low on bone density I'll have to figure something out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Myra said:

Had dexascan last week - my doctor wrote a script for it along with my digital mammogram.   Both were covered 100% by insurance.

It only took about 10 minutes for the dexascan with minimal contact with the technician.  

Doing it through insurance, did they give you all the info on body fat, lean tissue, etc or just bone density?

Did the DexaFit scan today, and the 3D bodyfit scan as well (had a groupon for both). 

The Dexafit scan was just me and one other person in a fairly decent sized room - you could fit 20 people in there in chairs kind of thing, and the scan took 5 minutes with her on the other side of the room, both of us in masks. I'd already filled out all the paperwork online, so didn't even need to touch a pen, lol. They do one person at a time, so no one else was even in the office, and they had a sign on the door asking you to wait outside if you were more than 5 minutes early - I'm assuming to limit breathing in their office. 

Then I went in the next room, also decent sized but not as big, where the 3d Bodyfit scan was. That one I did by myself - she just showed me quickly where to click on the computer and how to hold the handles. (she did NOT wipe them off, after touching them, but I brought my own sanitizer). She was in the room less than 2 minutes, then left me in there. I quickly stripped to bra and undies and did the scan - maybe 30 seconds to type my info in and 30 seconds to do the scan, then another minute or less to get dressed. I then left and she emailed me everything. 

My bone density is good! T-Score of 0.3, with normal being -1.0 to 1.0. 

Body fat percentage is 41.2% Yikes, but that's lower than it has been in the past. Waist to Hip ratio is 0.9. Not great, but not terrible for my age/gender I guess. Seeing myself in 3D like that was...disturbing a big, lol. But I'm motivated to see how I can change those numbers!

• Like 2