Menu

S/o birds, check out this amazing eagle couple sitting on eggs in a nest!!

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

I'm totally geeking out on this amazing eagle-cam.

There's a college in Georgia called Berry (two hours northish from Atlanta). In 2012, a student noticed an eagles' nest in the trees so -- of course -- the school immediately installed three cameras trained on the eagles' nest, added an infrared light (thus allowing us to spy at night), and created a Facebook page dedicated to the comings and goings of the pair. (Of course, the eagles have no idea that they've lost any hope for privacy due to that one lone student.)

The female laid her first egg on January 1 and a second egg on January 4, and now the two eagles take turns incubating them.

Nest Cam 1

Nest Cam 2

Approach cam

The eggs should open in 40 days from when they were laid. "The chicks hatch from the eggs without any help from the parents. The chick uses its egg tooth to scratch around the inside of the shell in a circular path. The scratches weaken the shell in a pattern all around the egg. This is called pipping, and it can take from one to two days."

There are also lectures from the professor and lesson plans -- super cool topic to add to homeschooling.

I hope (in these turbulent, difficult times) these three cams bring you as much fun as they've brought me!!

Wendy

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, MooCow said:

This is so cool, thanks for sharing! Watching is a perfect stress reliever 

You're right: a perfect stress reliever.

It's also such a cool reminder -- especially right now -- that people can be so awesome. The college has poured money into watching the eagles, allowing the professor to do lectures and so on. So many people care about this eagle family.

Male eagles are smaller than female eagles, so I'm assuming that's the male on the eggs now (11:45 a.m. on 1/8). The female has a very light brown spot on her white head and the male doesn't.

Wendy

• Like 2