Menu

Medicaid expansion leads to

Frances

Medicaid expansion leads to better birth outcomes. I thought this study in my state was interesting because prior to the expansion, pregnant women did qualify for coverage once they became pregnant. But they found a difference in birth outcomes when coverage was in place before pregnancy.

https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/osu-studies-find-oregon’s-medicaid-expansion-improved-prenatal-care-access-birth-outcomes

In the same period, the second study found, Medicaid expansion was associated with a 29% reduction in low birthweight among babies born to women on Medicaid, as well as a 23% reduction in preterm births.

Prior to the state’s Medicaid expansion as part of the Affordable Care Act, low-income women who were not otherwise eligible for Medicaid became eligible when they became pregnant. It was estimated that expanding Medicaid to include everyone earning up to 138% of the federal poverty level would extend coverage to an additional 77,000 women of childbearing age.

“This means that women are getting preconception care before they’re pregnant,” said lead author Marie Harvey, associate dean for research in OSU’s College of Public Health and Human Sciences. “Then when they become pregnant, they’re more easily able to get prenatal care.”

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Huh. Maybe the months before conception and immediately after are significant for fetal/maternal health...or maybe having health care relieves stress that impacts maternal/fetal health? Either way...win-win.

Probably both. I know women researchers who spent two years optimizing their health before conceiving.

• Like 1