Menu

Winter Season Decorating

TechWife

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

Can you share an example of your candle holders and blue striped table runner? I'm decorating-challenged.

Wendy

These are the candle holders with the blue ceramic balls in them:

IMG_4469.jpg

For some reason I can't get it to upload another photo. I'll try again in a little while. Sorry.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CTVKath said:

This is the first year I've ever wanted to do any winter decorating but I was only thinking a winter wreath for the front door. I found this beautiful DIY pinecone wreath with bow and I'm going to give that a try and see how I like it. https://www.thehowtomom.com/pinecone-wreath-diy/

That's beautiful, let us know how it turns out!

Other than Christmas we are not crazy into decorations here - I change place mats, pitchers, centerpieces, and other dining room decorations, and usually something on the mantle for holidays.  There are a few odds and ends that I use for specific holidays - a few snowmen will stay out, I have a few pumpkins in the fall, that sort of thing.  There are some things that I change out during the year, though.  My living room is in blues and grays, wth some coral accent pillows and blankets.  In the summer, I have coral turkish towels that are great lightweight covers that I use when my family wants the ceiling fan on.  In the winter, I have fleece coral blankets.  When there are no holidays, I tend to use cut glass bowls or pitchers that I inherited from my grandmother as dining room and piano top decorations.  Since it's mostly in spring and summer, it feels light.  For much of the summer, our decorating theme is 'baskets of garden produce' as I process and freeze it.  🙂  

One thing that I did this year is get a new winter bedspread.  We don't do comforters because I need to be able to wash the bedspread more often due to my allergies.  We've always had a white coverlet, which I love for it's light cottage vibe.  I wanted something that was warmer so that I didn't need to keep piling on blankets.  I ended up with a dark purple chenille bedspread that looks very cozy for winter and still fits the rustic cottage feeling,  but is warm.  

I also have a thing about adding lots of lights.  I keep fairly lights woven around the slats that hold my mattress, but I rarely turn them on in the summer.  When we take down the big tree after Epiphany, I'll separate all of the ornaments that we buy on trips.  I'll put them on the little 3 foot retro purple tree that is usually in a bedroom or in the playroom and tuck it in the corner of the living room.  Our 'travel tree' is fun, doesn't take much space, and adds some bright lights when it's still dark outside.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

These are the candle holders with the blue ceramic balls in them:

IMG_4469.jpg

For some reason I can't get it to upload another photo. I'll try again in a little while. Sorry.

Those are quite pretty! I was thinking more blue blue, but I love that soft blue green color. It's sort of seasonless. 

Is that on a coffee table? Maybe you're just wanting something that rotates appropriate to what you do there? Like a book on gardening or a basket with knitting or whatever, depending on the time of year...  Or maybe plants? They sell these tri planters that are chic. I'm all about the succulents. 

You seem to like things kind of minimal, so maybe instead of stuff go for sounds or smells or lights?

Or maybe (just a wild idea) what you're really wanting is a new piece of furniture? You look like you have room there for a cozy chair. 

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

I received a Cricut for Christmas. I think this time I’ll use permanent vinyl for them - thinking a simple last name letter monogram. Next time I might be brave enough to try the infusible ink and then they will be smooth, but I’m not there yet! Blank coasters are fairly inexpensive, so it isn’t a big $$ outlay. 

I have been on the fence about getting a Cricut for two years now!  Would love to hear how you like it.

I love the idea of mixing images and words, and customizing everything.  It’s definitely my kind of craft.  But I have heard that you can’t buy the software as standalone—you have to use it online—and internet at the cabin is a bit more intermittent that I’d like.  So that’s been my main hesitation.  Also, I have the impression that the software is not all that user friendly WYSIWYG yet, and I have not been willing to pull the trigger on something that requires a lot of review to keep ‘current’.  Still debating, sigh...

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Those are quite pretty! I was thinking more blue blue, but I love that soft blue green color. It's sort of seasonless. 

Is that on a coffee table? Maybe you're just wanting something that rotates appropriate to what you do there? Like a book on gardening or a basket with knitting or whatever, depending on the time of year...  Or maybe plants? They sell these tri planters that are chic. I'm all about the succulents. 

You seem to like things kind of minimal, so maybe instead of stuff go for sounds or smells or lights?

Or maybe (just a wild idea) what you're really wanting is a new piece of furniture? You look like you have room there for a cozy chair. 

Thank you. It doesn't show well in the pictures, but there are dark blue "veins" throughout the balls and they don't look so green in person.

Yes, they are on a coffee table and they are the only things on it. Usually throughout the day & week several books come and go on the coffee table (we are big readers). I try to put them away on Sunday night before bed.

I was actually thinking about smells. Cinnamon came to mind as did vanilla.

Definitely no on the new piece of furniture for now. Depending on what the year holds, we may get new furniture in late summer or fall. I'm thinking a big couch we can sink into and a couple of side chairs - sort of like these, but smaller. I think they would be more flexible than a loveseat.

Minimal is a decent description. Right now I have some "fairy lights" on the console in the living room nestled around the nativity and I've been trying to think of a way to use them. I think I will leave them out and not store them with the Christmas items this year.

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have been on the fence about getting a Cricut for two years now!  Would love to hear how you like it.

I love the idea of mixing images and words, and customizing everything.  It’s definitely my kind of craft.  But I have heard that you can’t buy the software as standalone—you have to use it online—and internet at the cabin is a bit more intermittent that I’d like.  So that’s been my main hesitation.  Also, I have the impression that the software is not all that user friendly WYSIWYG yet, and I have not been willing to pull the trigger on something that requires a lot of review to keep ‘current’.  Still debating, sigh...

You are correct that you have to use it online and that it is not user friendly at all. I have heard that if you know how to use Adobe that the learning curve isn't as steep, but I don't have experience with that to know for certain. Honestly, I almost told dh to take it back to Costco, then I found the information I needed to get the small project I was trying to work. There is no manual to speak of, I've learned a lot looking at cheat sheets I've found on Pinterest. Remind me in a couple of months and I'll give you an update on how it's going.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Definitely no on the new piece of furniture for now. Depending on what the year holds, we may get new furniture in late summer or fall.

Have you tried looking on Craigslist? It's surprising what shows up. Now if it's too good to be true, it's a scam, lol. But sometimes you'll find gently used things, antiques, interesting stuff.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

No wonder my house will never look like all y’all’s!  The amount of thought you put in to this compared to me is phenomenal!

Age has its perks. (time to accumulate these skills and bits of knowledge) Besides, if your choice were decorating or working on your autistic kid's visual motor integration and syntax, which would you choose? :biggrin: Sometimes I'm doing things as a respite, a break. I was in Crate and Barrel two months ago hanging with a friend, so that's how I knew about it. But yeah, some things just take time to learn and accumulate.