Menu

Dog lovers! Need rec for interior car seat cover/pad

sheryl

We take Shiloh with us many places.  I'd like something that I can lay/place over  the  back seat of our SUV.  We have an SUV with leather seats. Over the years (Shiloh is our 3rd lab) we've used a sheet or blanket.   The problem is it gets balled up (probably b/c the seats are leather and it slides around) and she ends up not laying on it.  

Would like this for comfort when we travel or even around the city for comfort instead of laying on leather which has a tendency to get cold.  

What do you suggest I can place on the seat bottom for her comfort?  A little comfy padding.   Something just on the seat or back and seat?  How would it stay on?  Would prefer something that doesn't slide.

Thanks!

Edited by sheryl

• sheryl changed the title to Dog lovers! Need rec for interior car seat cover/pad

I got one from Amazon made for purpose - is waterproof, quilted, has openings for seatbelts, and tucks in / straps on/ attaches  to stay in place  - some company name with Bark in it I think — they had measurements so I chose what would fit my backseat   There were lots similar to choose amongst 

• Like 1

I'll start by saying I'm new to being a clean/tidy car-owner. (For example, our van was a wreck with twins and three dogs over a 16 year period. Now we have a German shepherd and bought a new Toyota, For once, I didn't want the backseat turning into a disaster zone with dog hair everywhere. (We take River in the car a lot too.)

So, I did/do two layers:

The first layer is a puffy queen-size comforter in a beautiful flower fabric that I bought at Goodwill. Max I probably paid $5 for it. (I don't remember.) Again it's huge and really helps to keep River's mess at bay.

The second layer is a car sling that goes over the huge blanket. This is the one I bought from Amazon. It looks kind of complicated in the picture, but it's not hard to deal with.

I bought the sling in May 2019 and it just now needs to be replaced (the material is wearing thin in places.) River is a large, very sheddy dog and is hard on material.

These two layers should save your backseat!

W.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

This is good!  THANKS!

11 hours ago, Pen said:

looks like a more luxurious version of what we have!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I have an ancient hammock type seat cover. Not this particular one, but very similar.

To sling or not to sling is my question.   Thanks!  LOL!

4 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I'll start by saying I'm new to being a clean/tidy car-owner. (For example, our van was a wreck with twins and three dogs over a 16 year period. Now we have a German shepherd and bought a new Toyota, For once, I didn't want the backseat turning into a disaster zone with dog hair everywhere. (We take River in the car a lot too.)

So, I did/do two layers:

The first layer is a puffy queen-size comforter in a beautiful flower fabric that I bought at Goodwill. Max I probably paid $5 for it. (I don't remember.) Again it's huge and really helps to keep River's mess at bay.

The second layer is a car sling that goes over the huge blanket. This is the one I bought from Amazon. It looks kind of complicated in the picture, but it's not hard to deal with.

I bought the sling in May 2019 and it just now needs to be replaced (the material is wearing thin in places.) River is a large, very sheddy dog and is hard on material.

These two layers should save your backseat!

W.

Thanks! As I told Pawz above, I'm not sure if I want to "sling".  She really does not even attempt to come forward.  Our fur baby is even afraid to hang her head out the window.  Our other 2 labs did but Shiloh is flat our afraid.   I'm leaning towards Selkie's idea but wanted to know if there were other ideas out there.

Thanks to all!

26 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I'm not sure if I want to "sling".  She really does not even attempt to come forward.  Our fur baby is even afraid to hang her head out the window.  Our other 2 labs did but Shiloh is flat our afraid.   I'm leaning towards Selkie's idea but wanted to know if there were other ideas out there.

Thanks to all!

I think of the sling more as keeping them from sliding off the seat and onto the floor with sudden/hard braking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I had 2dd's (medium) dogs so much - she bought me (something like) this for my car.

I haven't actually used it - I now have a SUV and they go in the back.  I can throw a bathroom rubber backed throw rug on the cargo mat for them to lay down on and it's machine washable.

Right.  That is one I think I eyeballed on Amazon.  Your point in your 2nd post is good.  It would help in an unexpected "hard" stop.  I realized after looking at links y'all sent that the "liner" can be used as a sling or in the back fully extended - such as when the middle row is down.  Is this right?