Menu

should I try to get my 9th grader put back into pre-algebra

My mildly dyslexic 9th grader is having problems with algebra.  It’s almost like her brain doesn’t think in algebra, or grasp the concept of solving equations. She started going to a small private school in November and is doing Saxon Algebra.  She was doing CLE Algebra at home and didn’t really understand that, and last worked partway through TT pre-algebra then did all the Keys to...pre-algebra and some of Khan Academy’s (because she didn’t seem to understand fractions and percents).  I had wanted her placed in Saxon Algebra 1/2 at this school but they don’t use 1/2, only 87 over 2 yrs for their jr high students, so they started her at the beginning of Algebra I.  One of yesterday’s problems was something like “if the circumference of a circle is 6pi, what’s the radius?”.  She knew the formula for circumference of a circle but could not figure out how to solve the problem. This is an ongoing issue—she doesn’t seem to be able to think in the way she needs to think to do algebra.  She also has trouble keeping all the different terms straight—they wanted her to write reciprocals for a few numbers, which she learned 9 lessons ago, and she thought they wanted her to write the opposite of the number (the negative of it).  

I figure it will take her two years to muddle through Algebra I, and I don’t think she has a chance of making it through Algebra II since she doesn’t even understand the concepts in basic algebra.  I don’t see her understanding them at the end of algebra I unless she makes a giant leap in understanding somewhere, and that’s never happened in any subject for this kid, so it seems very unlikely.  I’m debating about asking the school if they’ll put her in Saxon 87.  I feel like she’ll probably be further ahead in the long run doing this (assuming she actually grasps the pre-algebra concepts) even if she doesn’t finish 87 til midway through her sophomore year.  She’s only on lesson 12 in Algebra I.  Her school does not offer any sort of remedial help.

The only other thing I can think of that might help is sending her a local tutoring place.  I’ve met with the head tutor before and he seems very knowledgeable and has experience working with kids with learning disabilities.  I don’t know when she would actually be able to fit tutoring in though.  She currently playing on the homeschool basketball team which has practices 5 days a week through the end of January.  She’s already struggling to keep up with schoolwork and practices.  When basketball is over she will hopefully get a spot in driver’s ed, which has a similar time commitment to basketball and will run through the end of April.

DH and I are both capable of helping her with algebra, but she just doesn’t seem to get it regardless of who explains it to her.

• Sad 1

My dd with a math disability did several years of pre algebra at school and then 2 years of basic public school algebra before she was able to pass the Algebra test required to graduate in our state. She did pre alg in 8 & 9 then algebra in 10 & 11th.

Graduating is more important than after school activities. But I hate to see a student lose activities when that’s what they enjoy.

Can she attend a school that offers support (a public school most likely). She will probably have trouble in other classes between now & graduation. Does she need an iep? My dd has always gotten resource room assistance for all of her classes plus an extra math tutorial on top of that at school and a co taught math class ( special Ed teacher, regular math teacher, & a TA in each class to provide extra help for the kids who need it)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, caedmyn said:

DH and I are both capable of helping her with algebra, but she just doesn’t seem to get it regardless of who explains it to her.

How would you explain the circle question to her, out of curiosity?

Personally, I’d find her a really good tutor. And yes, I’d make sure to fit it in. Getting through this will matter for her.

Move heaven and earth to get her to that tutor.  With Saxon, she will only sink further down in the mud if she is struggling now.

Sometimes Saxon's explanations can be verbose and obtuse (to me), and this could be a stumbling block for her if her teacher is not able to "translate" it into something that makes sense to her.   Saxon can also *seem* random in its arrangement of topics, so it can be difficult for some kids to connect the dots.  A good teacher (or a good tutor) for Saxon is able to help students connect those dots. 

Has she had testing/evaluations done to see why she struggles in math?  Is it her dyslexia, or is it a specific math issue? 

One of mine struggles mightily in math; testing revealed that he has working memory and fluid reasoning deficits, so it is not that he can't get it, but that he needs lots of scaffolding to *remember* formulae and multi-step processes.  And algebra is full of multi-step things.   So we work algebra together most days. He does get crabby with me, but he needs prompting to remember all these little steps  ("did you divide both sides of the equation by 3?" etc..)  until they can become automatic. 

If the school is not willing/able to work with her, MUS might be a good program to look into-- you could do the PreA to help close some gaps, and then move into the Algebra. 

I'm also fond of Basic Algebra, by Dolciani and Brown.  https://archive.org/details/basicalgebra00brow

And for some kids, I think Key to Algebra *could* be used as an Algebra 1course.  It works in small steps with lots of practice.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a kid with a math disability. He is one semester in to Algebra 1 right now. He is making progress and gaining understanding...but couldn’t do that if he wasn’t working with a tutor (me) often.

It’s worth the time and effort. Algebra 2 CAN happen. It’s the baseline for graduation in my state and it’s also necessary to not end up in remedial/no credit courses if going to community college in my state.

If she is not connecting with you or Dh, try the tutor.