Menu

easy main (meat) dish for Christmas dinner?

caedmyn

12 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Beef tenderloin roasts cook quickly.   It's nice to have something be in and out in less than an hour without hours of babysitting.  You could also just straight up do steaks.  Actually now that I say that, putting DH in charge on the grill outside for a holiday or special meal (we do grill all winter) isn't a bad plan.  

10 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I second beef tenderloin.  Super easy and very hard to mess up.  Even if you over cook it (which I dont recommend btw) it is still very tender and delicious.  

This is us also. Every year and everyone loves it. 

On 12/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, BaseballandHockey said:

Do you have that porkchop recipe?

It's easy!  The crust is a ratio of 2:1:1:1/2 of whole black peppercorns, whole fennel, dried rosemary, and kosher salt.  Grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.  I find that starting with 2 tbsp of black pepercorns is enough rub for two thick cut chops.

Crust the pork chops, pan sear for 3-4 minutes per side, and then finish in the oven @ 425 until desired doneness.  

It is a bit spicy, but unbelievably delicious.

3 minutes ago, medawyn said:

It's easy!  The crust is a ratio of 2:1:1:1/2 of whole black peppercorns, whole fennel, dried rosemary, and kosher salt.  Grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.  I find that starting with 2 tbsp of black pepercorns is enough rub for two thick cut chops.

Crust the pork chops, pan sear for 3-4 minutes per side, and then finish in the oven @ 425 until desired doneness.  

It is a bit spicy, but unbelievably delicious.

That sounds really good.  When you say whole fennel, you mean fennel seeds?  

How long does it usually take in the oven?  Do you need to to use anything to get the crust to stick, like egg or oil?  

20 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

That sounds really good.  When you say whole fennel, you mean fennel seeds?  

How long does it usually take in the oven?  Do you need to to use anything to get the crust to stick, like egg or oil?  

Yes, fennel seed.  Not the veggie! I find 12-15 minutes in the oven, but I try to get chops that are at least an inch thick.   The crust sticks without any binder, but I do coat the pan with oil before I sear them so the spices don’t stick to the pan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I buy bags of swedish meatballs and just make the sauce. I know, terrible, right? But everyone loves them! I get the frozen gluten free ones from whole foods. 

Green with envy!  Too many food allergies here, blech.  But kids are on board with helping, so we should be able to have fun making them.

Grilling steaks is a great idea, too.