Menu

Advent, and the punk rock radicalism of Mary, who AOC has nothing on

Terabith

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

I'm sorry, but I find the poem completely irreverent and unscriptural. 

"hell yeah, my womb wants in on this p*ssy riot!"

No.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I see it as the author's way to tell Mary's story in a way that is engaging and thought-provoking to his young adult congregation in the language of their time. It’s the nature of young people to identify with the desire to rebel, and we focus so much on the “meek and mild” aspects of Mary that we overlook her bravery and boldness. In the language of my own younger days, Mary: <hears plan, thinks for a moment> “Awesome plan, Dude! I’m in!” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I see it as the author's way to tell Mary's story in a way that is engaging and thought-provoking to his young adult congregation in the language of their time. It’s the nature of young people to identify with the desire to rebel, and we focus so much on the “meek and mild” aspects of Mary that we overlook her bravery and boldness. In the language of my own younger days, Mary: <hears plan, thinks for a moment> “Awesome plan, Dude! I’m in!” 

I appreciate hearing your thoughts. I do think Mary's story is capable of being wholly engaging and thought-provoking without embellishment, and can be communicated in today's language without profanity.

Mary was incredibly brave, but also marked by submission to God's will, as was her Son. 

• Like 11

I get where the author is coming from, and I can see that it could connect with some people.

I was also offended by some of the terminology.  And, I think it's putting thoughts into someone we actually know very little about.  It's conforming her to our current demands.  We know so little about her really, except that she humbled herself, listened to that inner calling, and accepted.  

• Like 8