Menu

Anatomy for Advanced Upper Elementary?

jboo

Does anyone have a suggestion for a human anatomy course that could be used with a fairly advanced 4th grade boy? Either Christian or secular would be OK.

I am almost certain that I've read here about a Christian-oriented set of anatomy books written by a female doctor, but have either misplaced my notes, or thought that surely I would remember something like this, why bother writing it down.

This one is truly wonderful:

David Macaulay’s The Way We Work

https://smile.amazon.com/Way-We-Work-Getting-Amazing/dp/0618233784/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1I36AVVLGFX72&dchild=1&keywords=the+way+we+work+david+macaulay&qid=1607570782&sprefix=The+way+we+work%2Caps%2C273&sr=8-1

I personally (and my kids as well) prefer the Macaulay book over the Reader’s Digest book linked by Melissa. The Reader’s Digest book is very good, but It is heavy on making complex models (involving stuff you may not readily have in your house). Both the REader’s Digest and Macaulay books are really more physiology than anatomy.

If you want just straight anatomy (and not so much physiology)—

This book by SIlver and Wynne is also great — the student makes paper models.  It is really fun for the kids, but it does require a lot of precise cutting (if you want a nice model). The cutting might fall to you, so be aware of that. But it’s really fun. They make a huge (3 feet?) skeleton, as well as paper models of the major organ systems.

https://smile.amazon.com/Body-Book-Easy-Make-Hands/dp/0545048737/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=Human+body+book&qid=1607570967&sr=8-30

If you’re up for the cutting, I’d suggest pairing the Macaulay and Body Book (Silver and Wayne). It would make for a fantastic human bio course for late elementary.

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, jboo said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a human anatomy course that could be used with a fairly advanced 4th grade boy? Either Christian or secular would be OK.

I am almost certain that I've read here about a Christian-oriented set of anatomy books written by a female doctor, but have either misplaced my notes, or thought that surely I would remember something like this, why bother writing it down.

The Christian one with a pediatrician as one author (Brooke Ryan, MD) may have been apologia anatomy and physiology in the young explorer series?  supposed to be in that recommended age/grade level too.   It's not a set of books though.  It's text with student journals and that kind of set of stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...