Menu

garage chest freezer

Sunshine State Sue

I am looking for a small (5 cu ft) chest freezer for my garage.  I don't remember the brand I had at my old house, but I had to defrost it often due to ice build-up.  Does anyone have a small chest freezer in their garage that doesn't ice up so much?  What brand is it?  Bonus points if you know where you got it.  I'm a terrible shopper.

We have an old one--it's a Galaxy (was from Sears). I don't think it's a defrosting model, and it gets frosty, but not badly so.

I suspect that the fuller we keep it (while also organizing it so that things are used), the less the frost builds up. Part of our organization is using cardboard boxes and some bags full of like items so that we can move things around and find things easily. Some of that might also affect the frost level, but I don't know for sure.

Our upright is a self-defrosting model (Frigidaire), and it stays pretty frost free too. 

• Like 1

My tiny chest freezer is a Frigidaire that i got 12ish years ago from a local appliance store. The first couple years it was in an unheated breezeway, the last 10 it has been in our furnace room. It does get some frost build up which I've attributed to opening and closing. Once a year I try to empty it out for a month, mostly for inventory control and electricity costs. Of course it also defrosts during that time. Rarely, I have to whack some ice off the side to be sure it will close, but I haven't been able to discern a pattern to that. Maybe once a year?

I have a suspicion that chest freezers are one of those things that are identical under the hood, with just enough cosmetic differences that you can't make Home Depot meet Lowe's price.

• Like 1