Menu

Are slow text responses weird to others? Or just me?

Ginevra

When people are slow to respond to a text  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a little odd if someone doesn’t reply to a text for a day or more?

• Yes, I always find that a little different.
    • No, any time frame is fine.
    • Forty-two

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This. If it is something that requires an immediate answer (DH at the store needing to know which size pull ups) I respond immediately. If it is my mother texting a funny meme, not so much. 

same

LOL...I hear you on the "stay quiet rather than text something impolite back"

This brings up something.  Not all texts are equal and not all require a reply or at least a thoughtful reply.  A funny meme often just gets a LOL or an emoji - not necessarily because I think that the meme is hilarious but just to acknowledge that I got it.  I acknowledge those funny texts because the person who sent it (and their relationship to me) is what is important, not because I necessarily need to be entertained by memes.  As far as response time, though, I won't necessarily reply to those immediately because they don't need an immediate response. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SKL said:

One more thing.  I am careful about texting because unintended readers can see my texts.  They pop up when I may or may not be next to my phone.  I've had my kids ask about a text from an ex-bf.  And then, unless you take steps to delete, the conversation is there on your phone forever.  Texting is definitely not private, so I think it is a mistake to expect intimate friend responses via text.

Yeah, and then there are a couple people in my life who don't tell me they are on speaker phone in a car full of people. 🙄 So I'm pretty careful with some people. I prefer to tell people that they are on speaker phone. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, frogger said:

Yeah, and then there are a couple people in my life who don't tell me they are on speaker phone in a car full of people. 🙄 So I'm pretty careful with some people. I prefer to tell people that they are on speaker phone. 

Yeah, same!  It should be obvious, but apparently it isn't!

• Like 2