Menu

Should we take a "hostess" or such gift?

sheryl

My niece and her husband of 3 months live about 10 minutes from us.  They invited us for Thanksgiving.  Her parents (my sister and bil) are driving down to spend Thanksgiving week with them as well.  

Should I take a gift?  I don't like to stand on formality but I don't know what to do.  I'll be baking a few things to take but do I also present them with flowers?  If so, what ideas do you have?  What price range?  They will not be expecting anything and we are family.  This is what families do "not" expecting any gift.  But, still, I'm asking.

Thanks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, regentrude said:

If you are contributing food for a shared family meal, I do not think a gift is necessary. you could wrap a little baked something extra for them to savor after the party.

I agree with Regentrude. The only reason I'd do a hostess gift is if I truly wanted to bring one for a young couple. (And if I wasn't feeling strapped.)

W.

• Like 1

I don't think it would be expected/necessary, but if it is in your budget and you would like to take a small gift, I think it would be a nice gesture.  If you have something personal, like a small plate of cookies, a jar of homemade jam, or a handmade potholder those would be nice.  A houseplant or fall decoration would be nice--something like Thanksgiving themed tea towels or salt/pepper shakers.  If this is the first time they have hosted Thanksgiving, it would be a nice keepsake.  Or, a Christmas ornament if this will be their first Christmas in a new home could be nice.

• Like 1

Adding to these great ideas . . . she may be stressed out and/or trying to make everything perfect for this larger group of extended family.
Getting some guests to help with the cleanup afterwards, thanking her for her efforts, etc. would be some alternative ways to help her handle the large responsibility she's taken on!

(Ideally, you want her to agree to do it again!  😉)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I don't think it would be expected/necessary, but if it is in your budget and you would like to take a small gift, I think it would be a nice gesture.  If you have something personal, like a small plate of cookies, a jar of homemade jam, or a handmade potholder those would be nice.  A houseplant or fall decoration would be nice--something like Thanksgiving themed tea towels or salt/pepper shakers.  If this is the first time they have hosted Thanksgiving, it would be a nice keepsake.  Or, a Christmas ornament if this will be their first Christmas in a new home could be nice.

Wow, Beth!  What an excellent idea.  The more I think about it, the more I believe it's not necessary.  With that said, it would be a nice gesture.  I think I'll look for that "First Christmas" bulb to "present" at Thanksgiving.  It could be considered a nice gesture for Thanksgiving but it's just a cute idea for the couple.  THANKS!  You get today's red star!  Or, is it gold!!

• Like 1

Oh dear, Bootsie too - it was you who actually suggested ornament.  Thanks so much!  It's an excellent idea!  I went on Hallmark's website and they have one.  Now I'll call a local store or two and swing by to buy one.  It should be in stock.  You know, I bought one of those ornaments when dh and I celebrated our first Christmas - just 2 months after our wedding.  Thanks again!  

16 hours ago, sheryl said:

My niece and her husband of 3 months live about 10 minutes from us.  They invited us for Thanksgiving.  Her parents (my sister and bil) are driving down to spend Thanksgiving week with them as well.  

Should I take a gift?  I don't like to stand on formality but I don't know what to do.  I'll be baking a few things to take but do I also present them with flowers?  If so, what ideas do you have?  What price range?  They will not be expecting anything and we are family.  This is what families do "not" expecting any gift.  But, still, I'm asking.

Thanks!

This is a good question. As a hostess I truly do not need or expect a hostess gift. The company is the treat and it makes me happy to spend time with people. As a guest, I was raised with very southern manners and am incapable of showing up empty handed. My grandmothers would haunt me. This is definitely a me problem. 

• Like 2

I don't feel "obligated" to bring anything but well, idk, maybe.   It's not about presenting a gift but just adding to the feast.  I've had to  think  about this. Maybe this will be the first time in 40 years I've not made anything.  I will take some food not necessarily for the feast but for snacks that day or for them to enjoy a day or so later.  I like Bootsie's idea and will present them with an ornament - first year Christmas after getting married.   Just because it's a "thinking of you/love you/appreciate you/etc" gift.  🙂

• Like 3