Menu

Best "comprehensive grade" workbook series?

MeaganS

My dd4 LOVES workbooks. She's finished several cheap ones from the store in her own time. She's about to finish another. I don't require them, she just has a lot of fun doing them. She's about done with her current Kindergarten one I got from Aldi. I was looking into getting her a first grade one to work on next. Any recommendations of ones you've liked or that are well-done? She loves them to be colorful too, so nothing black and white. 

Edited by MeaganS

- "Complete Book of..." =  color 250+ pages + stickers  -- Complete Book of Kinder, and, Complete Book of 1st Grade
- "BrainQuest" series (these run a bit more advanced) = color, 300+ pages = Preschool, and Kindergarten
- Highlights "Big Fun Workbook series (these run a bit more advanced) = color, 250+ pages = Kindergarten
- The School Zone "Big..." = color, 300+ pages -- Big Kindergarten, and, Big First Grade; or, 120-page Super Scholar workbooks

What about some specific skills workbooks, such as:
- Highlights Thinking and Reasoning - beginning puzzles, critical thinking
- Kumon - in color; tracing, easy crafts, drawingcutting, pasting, mazes
- Mighty Mind Design Book -- re-usable pages with shape titles to build the patterns
- Creating Line Designs
- Stained Glass coloring books, regular Coloring booksPaint With Water books -- to practice motor skills
- Mazes -- mostly B&W, but there are some color ones out there, practice motor skills and problem solving
- Dot-to-Dot books -- to practice number or alphabet sequences
- Sticker Books
- The Big Yellow Drawing Book -- not color, but great beginning drawing skills

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I like the 180 Days Of series. Like 180 Days of Reading for 1st grade, they have all subjects. I have a few of them, and they cover most grade standards.

I also have BrainQuest ones, which have all subjects and are colorful and great for review. 

Evan Moor Skill Sharpener series is really beautiful and engaging, but more teaching and revisiting than review, and are single subject.

Those are the ones I have out on my shelves for lower elementary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeaganS said:

Thanks guys. I forgot about Critical Thinking books. I've always drooled over them but none of my other kids were interested. And the Highlights ones look great.

This is an old, out-of-print series, but I really liked these workbooks because they had a variety of different types of thinking puzzles that I wasn't seeing in other workbooks:

Gifted and Talented series (there was also an age 6-8 series as well):

- Puzzles and Games (age 4-6)
- Puzzles and Games book 2 (age 4-6)
- Reading (age 4-6)
- Reading Puzzles and Games (age 4-6)
- Language Arts (ages 4-6)
- Language Arts Puzzles and Games (age 4-6)
- Phonics (ages 4-6)
- Phonics book 2 (ages 4-6)
- Phonics Puzzles and Games (ages 4-6)
- Math (ages 4-6)
- Math Puzzles and Games (age 4-6)

Edited by Lori D.

We like the Tinker Active workbooks. They are on book outlet right now for cheap. 

The Curious George story workbook series is wonderful. 

Highlights workbooks are our favorite. I just subscribed to their new monthly workbook box. 

When my son was in PreK he really liked the school zone sticker workbooks.