Menu

Spine for U.S. history 4th-6th grades

lulalu

Joy Hakim's a Story of US or A Child's First Book of American History (Beautiful Feet)? 

13 volumes seems like a lot to get through! But BF's book seems like it might be too young. Anyone have thought on these 2? Or another spine that is good. We like narratives. Ds loves A Child's History of the World if that gives an idea. 

I don't think BF's book is too young for that age at all (for most kids).  Especially if he likes CHOW,  BF's book would be similar to that style. 

I think that Hakim (especially the 13 vol)  would be overkill for that age.  IMO, Hakim is better for jr high-- it is a LOT to get through. 

Landmark History of the American People (Boorstin) is another narrative American history that I like.  You can see samples here...

• Like 2

Well, Story of US is more typically done in 7th-9th grades, so doing it for 4th-6th grades may be not only long, but also a bit over the heads, esp. of the younger student.

Maybe:
- The Complete book of United States History -- gr. 4-5, secular
- Landmark History of the American People: vol 1 = colonial up to Civil War; vol 2 = Civil War to 1960s -- gr. 4-8
- A Child's Story of America -- gr. 4-5, Christian, very story-like in approach
- Learning Adventures: vol. 2: A New World of Adventure (colonial/early U.S.) + vol. 3: Westward & Onward (up through late 1800s) -- gr. 4-6, unit study approach 

other options:
- Girls of American History -- gr. 2-6; based on the American Girls book series
- America's Story -- gr. 3-6, Christian, Charlotte Mason in approach
- Our Land of Liberty -- gr. 4-5, secular
Abeka: Heritage Studies 5 -- gr. 5, Christian
- America the Beautiful -- gr. 5-8, Christian
- Moving Beyond the Page -- gr. 6, secular -- history units are on American History

• Like 2

Hakim's books are too much for 4-6. I have them, I've tried them for my 5th grader, they don't work well.    

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Landmark History of the American People: vol 1 = colonial up to Civil War; vol 2 = Civil War to 1960s

That's my suggestion if I had to pick 1 book. It doesn't cover pre Columbian times, but it's good stuff. 

I also love love love the Giant American History Timeline workbook for pacing, worksheets, and mkaking sure you're hitting all the right things. 

The Beginner's American History by HD Montgomery is also good to have. The copy I have is weirdly organized, but it's the only of I'd say a dozen books about US History/13 colonies I have that talks about the founding of each colony, specifically it was Lord Baltimore and Maryland I was looking for. 

My kids also love the Interactive History Adventure books. They don't cover everything, but we have about a dozen for US history up through reconstruction, and they remember the stories from those better than anything else. 

I also like the Evan Moor history pockets! They're perfect!!! 

• Like 2