Menu

What do you think of this

rebcoola

This is an statement that a church is talking about adding to their Statement of Faith.

We believe that the Scriptures command Christians to regularly assemble together for corporate 
worship wherein the ordinances, preaching, prayers, reading of Scripture, and the singing of 
God’s people may regularly occur. That the first day of the week is the Lord’s Day and is a 
Christian institution which should include corporate worship with the local church to 
commemorate the resurrection of Christ and anticipate the rest of the New Creation. Activities 
conducted on the Lord’s Day should be commensurate with a Christian’s conscience under the 
Lordship of Christ.

Acts 20:7; Gen 2:3; Col 2:16-17; Mark 2:27; John 20:19; 1 Cor 16:1-2; Ex 20:8; Rev 1:10; Ps 118:15, 24; 
Isa 58:13-14; Isa 56:2-8; Heb 10:24-25; Acts 11:26; Acts 13:44; Lev 19:30; Luke 4:16; Acts 17:2-3; Ps 26:8; 
Ps 87:3; Heb 4:3-11; Col 3:16; Rom 14:5-6; Heb 12:18-24

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rebcoola said:

We believe that the Scriptures command Christians to regularly assemble together for corporate 
worship wherein the ordinances, preaching, prayers, reading of Scripture, and the singing of 
God’s people may regularly occur. That the first day of the week is the Lord’s Day and is a 
Christian institution which should include corporate worship with the local church to 
commemorate the resurrection of Christ and anticipate the rest of the New Creation. 

The first part reads like a justification for putting the community at risk so that they can worship in person.  

In my opinion, Christians who push for indoor worship when it isn't safe are violating the second great commandment.  

13 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Activities conducted on the Lord’s Day should be commensurate with a Christian’s conscience under the Lordship of Christ.

Wouldn't that be true every day? 

I'd be kind of curious.  If this part of the statement of faith was issued post covid, I would agree with BaseballandHockey that it is a justification for risky behavior.  I also think there are many ways to assemble and think that online should count.  

If it pre-dates it, I'd suspect they're probably not my flavor of Christianity but wouldn't get worked up about it.  

• Like 1

Sounds to me like a COVID thing, or they want to have grounds to discipline people who are not in regular attendance. It actually helps me when I see statements like this, because it lets me know to (probably) steer clear. I don't judge them, because it's their statement of faith and their business, but it tells me what they consider to be very important to their practice of faith. 

• Like 1

Actually, the phrase "Activities conducted on the Lord’s Day should be commensurate with a Christian’s conscience under the 
Lordship of Christ" leaves a lot of room for people who can't make it to a service, or don't feel comfortable given the local pandemic numbers. 

• Like 1

if that is some long winded way of saying that the church should be able to flout public health regulations during a pandemic I think they are extremely wrongheaded. 

I can't imagine that Jesus ever said or felt that assembling together physically was worth risking other people's lives. If we are pro life, and respect the dignity of every person, and are called to care for "the least of these", we can't do that while spreading our germs. 

smacks of missing the forest for the trees

• Like 1