Menu

ID this wasp...those mandibles!

Ginevra

I don’t mean to be one of those obnoxious people who think every wasp is a “murder hornet,” however look at the mandibles on this large wasp hanging out on my window. I did not think our regular wasps and yellow jackets had a face like this. This guy is large but not enormous; he’s about slightly longer than one inch long. Can anyone identify this pretty scary-looking wasp? Mid-Atlantic region. 

0E7528B6-FE6D-47DC-9EEE-80053F7DD799.jpeg

426B8BCA-4DDE-422C-B8E6-5D25FBE86D10.jpeg

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Looks like the eastern cicada killer. 

Maybe...I have seen cicada killers before, though, and this wasp is smaller and doesn’t look very much like the cicada killer. 

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A "murder hornet" (which is actually called a sparrow hornet in Japan is over two inches long. (Just to set your mind at rest about that.) 

NOOOOOO.  It isn't .  We have had some posts here in Northern AL by the Dept of Natural Resources or by the local or state Extension service with photos of similar looking eastern insects that resemble the murder hornets but are not.  We do not have murder hornets here.

Quill, if you are one  Facebook, there are insect identification groups=like I just found one called homeowners Entomology

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

NOOOOOO.  It isn't .  We have had some posts here in Northern AL by the Dept of Natural Resources or by the local or state Extension service with photos of similar looking eastern insects that resemble the murder hornets but are not.  We do not have murder hornets here.

Quill, if you are one  Facebook, there are insect identification groups=like I just found one called homeowners Entomology

I don’t think Jean was saying it is a murder hornet. Just the Japanese name for them and that they are larger than my specimen. 

I do not think it is a murder hornet and do not expect them here on the east coast. Just, that face was scarier looking than the wasps I have seen before and we have tons of different types of wasps, bees and hornets around here. So I still don’t know...it could be a bald-faced hornet, and that face does look much more similar to my specimen, but the coloring and the shape of the abdomen looks different from the BFH. 

I have gotten to know a BFH in the most unpleasant way. They have a mean sting. 

• Like 3