Menu

Are you getting a flu shot? If you don’t usually, but are now, what motivates you?

Ginevra

2 minutes ago, kand said:

The whole family got them today (drive thru flu shots are one of the good things to come of this pandemic—I hope they keep doing this after it’s over), but now I’m seeing the news out of South Korea about higher than expected issues in people there who recently had the flu shot there. I hope that turns out to be nothing, and expect that is more likely than not when they are vaccinating so many, but not not super comforting right after my whole family getting one today!

Uh-oh. I didn't see this. Off to look... 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

Usually there is no rhyme nor reason as to why I get the flu shot. Some years I do and some years I don't. This year I did. I was already waiting at Walmart to get a new battery installed in my car and so I thought I'd use that time productively and got my flu shot at the Walmart pharmacy. I was planning on doing that sometime this year anyway because if I do get Covid I don't want the flu on top  of it. And if it some how mitigates some of the symptoms or other by products of getting Covid, then that's a bonus. I don't know that it will do any of that but I hope secretly that it does. LOL

I've had the flu shot annually for 25 years. I haven't had the flu once in that time. 

On 10/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Yowza. Why were your folks so anti-doctor? 

DD8 somehow got strep as a one year old, and she really didn't drink at all for a bit... it's a terrible sore throat, I think. 

I’m not sure. They were always a little weird about medical things. It might be partially religious beliefs and partially a mentality that most childhood illnesses were self-limiting and so, what was the point paying for a doctor’s visit? 

I remember my mom saying, when I had that allergic reaction, “Why should I take her to the doctor? So they can tell me she’s allergic to insect stings? I can see that for myself.” 

I have read that strep throat is unbelievably sore. When I read that description, I thought, “Well, then I’m guessing I’ve had it.”