Menu

secular writing curriculum similar to writing stands?

aeolianharp

hi, I'm looking for a writing curriculum for my 4th grader that starts out with learning how to write good sentences, then paragraphs, then ending the year having written a few essays? writing strands looks like it might work but I was wondering if there was a secular curriculum out there with a similar approach.

Edited by aeolianharp

1 hour ago, Okbud said:

Yeah OP look for used copies of the original Writing Strands if you are drawn to it but need secular.

Obviously, the new Masterbooks iteration of Writing Strands is not secular.

I don't like the Masterbooks reprint, as it includes Reading Strands. Blech. However, My Father's World has also reprinted it almost in its original form. Any "religious" content would not be an integral part of the instruction. I might have to buy one or two books to review. 🙂

6 hours ago, lulalu said:

I wish Masterbooks hadn't taken it over. The original are great. 

Masterbooks isn't the only publisher that has rights to reprint Writing Strands: My Father's World editions are almost unchanged from the originals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Okbud said:

Meaningful Composition looks like it has a similar format. Maybe? I assume it's not from a secular company but I can't tell if the books themselves are secular or not. 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/category/8177/Meaningful-Composition.html

I looked at the table of contents for the level 2 book, and one of the entries refers to the Bible, so I suspect that it isn't secular.

4 hours ago, Okbud said:

I'm glad you brought this up! It looks like MFW has only redone three levels? Or did the leveling system change with their revisions? The blurb on RR indicates that the original had 8 levels. 

Question for anyone: If someone did the three MFW levels but didn't want to move to WWS (what MFW lists), what would be a similar next step?

The original did not have eight levels. There were six, plus Expository Writing and Reading Strands. It looks like MFW did not reprint the first two levels, which is fine; the first one was really a resource for parents, the second one required the parents to sit and tell the dc what to write. So, Levels 4, 5, and 6 were reprinted.

Completing those three books could be enough, but if someone wanted more but didn't want WWS (I wouldn't), she could look at Wordsmith Craftsman.

And after completing those three Writing Skills for Today books, I would expect a young person to be doing *writing,* not still learning how to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

How would you place a child in Writing Strands? DD is 10 and in the 5th grade. We've cycled through several writing curricula. She writes fine for her age. I began this year requiring only written narrations, copywork, and dictation because I was trying to do CM. I figured out that wasn't enough writing so a few weeks ago, I began following the advice in TWTM book, outlining and short written narrations. I think learning outlining in TWTM method has been very good for DD. But this requires a lot of involvement from me and I'd like DD to have some independent writing activities. She's not ready for WWS and I'm unconvinced about the progym based programs like W&R and CC. 

We tried Wordsmith Apprentice (the newspaper one?) last year and DD absolutely hated it. 

I looked at the Writing Strands sample on the MFW's website and I liked what I saw. It looked very basic. 

I want something that I can use along with TWTM recommendations and some sentence imitation work. I think this might work for us and it's very affordable. 

Would you recommend starting with Book A? 

She could do Book A or B. The levels are based on writing experience.

It is not completely independent. It is expected that you will introduce each lesson and evaluate each part of the lessons as the dc completes them. But the instruction and assignments are not time intensive, although they are effective. WS is my favorite. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 years later...