Menu

Books similar to Cat Who books?

skimomma

I am the sole "caretaker" for a family member with dementia that is currently isolated in assisted living.  They are bored and lonely.  In today's phone conversation they asked if I could pick up and mail any new Cat Who mystery books that might have come out recently.  I believe this person actually owns all that were released and the series ended quite some time ago.  This person was also a huge fan of Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason back in the day.  These are not my preferred genres.  At all.  So, I am ill equipped to select something that might fit the bill.  Any suggestions?  The books need to be pretty simple.  Extra points for any that have many books in the collection with the same formula.  I think my person really takes comfort in the formula-type stories.  I'd love to find a good series so I could mail one every week.  If I have 3-5 good leads, I could mail one of each and ask for feedback.

As a Cat Who fan myself, I can say that very few book series are as good, in that same genre.  Mrs. Pollifax books might be enjoyed.  They are very good.  The MC Beaton series with Hamish MacBeth is decent.  Nothing really tops Cat Who though.  

If Catholic, the Andrew Greeley mysteries are enjoyable and well-written and well-vocabularied (even though I just made up that word), like the Cat Who books.  She might like them even if not Catholic, but it lends a certain background knowledge that is helpful.

I read a Gervase Phinn book, The Other Side of the Dale, that was quite wonderful.  She definitely would enjoy that.

Edited by perky
  • Like 1

There are many good suggestions in the posts above. Just a little thing I found when caring  for a woman with dementia. She was quite a reader but after a while it was easier for her to reread her favorites. It was easier to reorient to the story when she picked the book up the next day. 

• Like 1

I am a big fan of The Cat Who’s and cozy’s in general.  

If the cat’s antics are what she enjoys I find Miranda James series similar .......Murder Past Due is the first https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7337871-murder-past-due?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=6YAHtv5f8L&rank=2.    

If poodles would be OK the Melanie Travis series is fun https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48058.A_Pedigree_to_Die_For#  

Perhaps my favorite light cozy series is by Donna Andrews.  Lots of animals but not really the companion animal in crime solving....the titles all have birds.           https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/545766.Murder_With_Peacocks?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=zmzVL4SD2E&rank=1.           

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1