Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW39: Banned Book Week - Freedom to Read

Robin M

5 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

I'm back, too!  I think I accidentally posted on last week's thread--an old username was resurrected when resetting the password--but then this last time getting on the forum, I've been checked back in under my most recent username.  SO strange.  To repost some of my recent readings:

Finished: 

Becoming by Michelle Obama, which I found very helpful as we were already living in MNE when Obama made his appearance on the national scene.

a Retirement book for those in their 50s+ (title forgotten) by Suze Orman, also found very helpful.  We are playing catch-up (pastoral salary, not debt) and this book didn't depress me like so many others.....

The Simple Art of Murder, by Chandler--a collection of short stories, hard-boiled detective genre, suitable for small reading windows

A Marriage Under the Terror by Wentworth--quite different from her Miss Silver series.  Less predictable than I expected, so I finished it, but not one I'd particularly recommend or ever reread.

Currently Reading:

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett.  I have to say, that my reading of The Warmth of Other Suns has greatly contributed to my understanding and appreciation of books like Becoming and The Vanishing Half.

I like Raymond Chandler a lot, and the title essay in "Simple Art of Murder" is my favorite. I just took out my copy again to skim -- I love the part at the end of the essay where he talks about redemption!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Little Green Leaves said:

I like Raymond Chandler a lot, and the title essay in "Simple Art of Murder" is my favorite.

I always enjoy reading what authors have to say about their own writings.  I was never a fan of literature analysis where the reader gets to super-impose their own ideas on "what the author meant."  Might be why I went in a STEM direction!  But, I *love* reading what authors have to say regarding the how's and why's of their own writing.  Reading Poe's essay on writing The Raven turned me on to seeking such things out...

• Like 5

As the week ends, I found a banned book!

at least banned by Amazon - 

As I understand it, having not yet read it, just seen the video linked below. It apparently offers an “alternative” view of disease based on the susceptibility of the “terrain” (host health) more than the virulence of the germ.    (Personally I think both are real an important, but I am open to hearing this alternative view. ) 

Co-author Sally Fallon wrote Nourishing Traditions, a book I have read and used over the years. 

Here is an interview with the other author:  (or since I am having links troubles, maybe not) 

https://youtu.be/KGIzWjjkpNk

https://youtu.be/KGIzWjjkpNk

Barnes and Noble has it:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/contagion-myth-thomas-s-cowan-md/1137427415

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

This week's New Yorker has an article about the novelist Marilynne Robinson. I read Gilead a few months ago and had mixed feelings about it -- I remember feeling it too subdued and self-contained. This article reminded me that I used to dislike Robert Frost for the same reasons, so maybe I'll change my mind about her one day. Anyway I think the article is really good, and it's always a pleasure to read about authors and their lives:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/10/05/marilynne-robinsons-essential-american-stories

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

The price of the following book is $343.75 on Amazon and all from third party sellers.

This is not an uncommon practice on Amazon when a seller doesn't want to remove the listing. Apparently it is easier to change the price to something ludicrous, and then if they get another copy they can switch the price back. It is too bad that the book is so hard to find, your review sounds intriguing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

The price of the following book is $343.75 on Amazon and all from third party sellers. Yes, you read that right. It is not printed on gold paper but a banned book.

image.png.4b98062cb67286bdfb829209d5e9ff69.png

What is so special you ask ? This is the story of one of the greatest industrialists I would say of the world who came from a very poor family, could not complete more than basic education and started to work at age 16. After a while,  he started a business which grew into several industries and became so big that both his sons have individual fortunes that make them among the top 10 richest men in the world today.

This book traces the rise of the patriarch. But it was never published because the subject of the book went to court about it because the book had some allegations made about him. It was never published in my home country, but I assume it was as it was written by a Australian journalist. You cannot get a copy of it even in the west now because so few exist and it is so expensive.

The irony is, the story is quite fascinating, warts and all and many people would love to read about it including me.

I think mostly it is just out of print?

There are other books by the same author that by description probably overlap and extend on the same subject matter.  Maybe even a change because  “Mahabharata in Polyester”   is a more catchy title with maybe an even more epic sounding feeling of his power and influence than mere “prince”?  These are still available at reasonable prices, but possibly also are OOP so maybe grab em while you can if you want to. 

Mahabharata in Polyester: The Making of the World's Richest Brothers and Their Feud https://www.amazon.com/dp/1742231586/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oTFEFbSDBRHA6

Ambani & Sons https://www.amazon.com/dp/8174368140/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3UFEFb974Z5FZ

• Like 2