Menu

Favorite Educational Apps

We have been a no screens family but are seeing there may be a place for some educational apps especially as I have 5 kids under 10 and there is only one of me.

Are there any apps you have found that are productive, not too f lashy and enjoyable for early elementary aged kids (through 4th grade). Free is great. I know about Khan Academy and Prodigy.

Thanks in advance.

All the Dragon box apps have gotten high marks. We were too old for the youngest one, but the Geometry and Algebra ones were fun.  We also liked Stack the States, never tried Stack the Countries but likely equivalent.

Before you open the electronics door, there are a few things you may want to consider.

First, give some thought to pre-set limits, for instance no screens on Sunday, or Thursday, only after 4 on school days when all school work is completed, after 2 on Saturdays when chores are done. Or whatever works for you. I highly recommend 1) a couple days where electronics just isn't a thing, and 2) pre-establishing the times so you don't have 5 people asking you repeatedly.

My bedroom was a later addition to the house and as a result it has oodles of outlets. Serendipitously this led to everything charging in my room overnight. As my dc get older it had been very nice having this in place already. No concerns about accidentally staying up super late or any late night sneaking.

We have come to find a surprising (to us) amount of value in my dc's facility with screens, and thus online platforms. Particularly in these days of pandemic when suddenly so many things moved online and I was left turning to my children for guidance on all sorts of electronic questions that they already knew how to do.

• Like 1

For astronomy, I love Star Walk (I guess now Star Walk 2). I let them explore in there as much as they like. I think there is a free version, but I got the paid one. The developer has a couple other astronomy apps as well. 

Britannica, Mental Math 2 are also popular here. 

CodeSpark has been a hit but I'm unsure of the actual educational value. It's supposed to teach coding but I can't say I've actually felt any progress being made, lol. 

• 2 years later...

I use different educational apps and mainly for language learning. I recently started using Duolingo and it has been quite effective for me. But recently I've been exposed to a new kind of application  realspyapps.com/how-to-locate-spyware/ and I've been surprised by the possibilities it provides. Especially something that makes it possible to detect Spyware and get rid of it quickly.

Edited by LloydSmith