Menu

Covid testing question

Tap

Dh is possibly going to be in a high risk area in the fall. I have an autoimmune condition. I would like to request that he be tested via a rapid test when he returns from the event. He will be there a week and has reluctantly agreed to go to a friend's boat for a few days after (to give a bit of a buffer for symptoms to develop). I would like him to get the rapid test, because I know he won't go to the boat for a week or two waiting for results. I assume there are different rapid tests available. How do I find out which one is the most accurate (I know there are lots of false positives/negatives with the rapid test) and where to get that particular test? Our insurance will cover it and we live out side Portland Oregon, so there are lots of options here. 

You may also consider calling around and finding out how long the regular test is taking; my DS was tested on Thursday afternoon, and we had phone call results (negative) on Sunday morning, despite the "official" prediction of 5-10 business days. They were able to tell me when I called that most people were actually getting their results in 3-4 days. 

Also, keep in mind that they also say the test is more effective 5-8 days post exposure &/or once symptoms have started. Would he be willing to come home, but sleep in a spare room, use a separate bathroom, clean religiously, etc....? (IOW, look at the "how to respond if someone in your house is sick" routine, and do that)

• Like 1

My current impression is that testing is going better in WA than OR.  You might want to google what he can get in Vancouver vs Ptlnd without symptoms.  Then check the available options out for likely accuracy/ speed.