Menu

Quick, what is my plan for PE?

PeterPan

Bike riding?  Weekly yoga videos?
Working up to walking a half marathon?
My 6th grader is trying to master stilts.
In my state, learning about health/development/puberty would be part of PE.
Incorporating strength and balance exercises into daily living activities...aka carrying laundry baskets and groceries up and down stairs.  😏

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Bike riding?  Weekly yoga videos?
Working up to walking a half marathon?
My 6th grader is trying to master stilts.
In my state, learning about health/development/puberty would be part of PE.
Incorporating strength and balance exercises into daily living activities...aka carrying laundry baskets and groceries up and down stairs.  😏

Hmm those are interesting ideas! 'm liking a video idea and the personal challenges, hmm.

Yeah we have to cover health first aid etc. too We're a very healthy state apparently lol

If I recall correctly, you are a person who likes to work out/keep fit.

Anything that you would normally do, where you could include your child, could count: home workouts, walks, running, hiking, frisbee golf, badminton, etc. 

I usually keep my description very generic: home activities, supplemental materials, health  😃

Someone on here posted a website they were using which had suggested exercises, etc. I don't seem to have it bookmarked. I will see if I have the thread marked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

Weekly yoga videos?

Was there a particular (or several) videos you liked? I'm looking at yoga or kids and to get the movements learnable they're kind of young. Might fly or might not, dunno. I like the idea of a menu.

19 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Anything that you would normally do, where you could include your child, could count: home workouts, walks, running, hiking, frisbee golf, badminton, etc. 

Yes! and he'll see me and join in. I usually make him fun routines in the moment. It's just with my bum arm and hand in splint I am not doing my normal stuff. And I forgot I have an alphabet exercise page where we could do coded plans. That would be fun. 

I was realizing I'm uncertain whether he'd do better doing this in the morning or at night. I work out at night. So when he's tagging along with me it'sat night. I wanted something for daytime because it can be independent work, something he always needs more of. (almost everything we do is together)

That's where the challenges come in, because I had been working on helping him to do a mile on the treadmill. With is ASD, stuff like staying calm, operating the machine, etc are work. He's doing so much outside work this summer I stopped working on it. But it can come back up for fall, defnitely.

I wish I had an indoor recumbent bike. I think he'd love it. 

23 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Someone on here posted a website they were using which had suggested exercises, etc. I don't seem to have it bookmarked. I will see if I have the thread marked.

Ooo definitely!

• Like 1

I found it!  Scroll down to the pdf linked or look here:  https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/xbx-plan.pdf 

I didn't ever use it, but it's an idea. Personally, I love Fitness blender if your child doesn't mind videos. They have hundreds so you could potentially let him/her decide what they want to try and add it to a calendar.  Fitness videos aren't for everyone though.  😃 My kids don't really like them.

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Was there a particular (or several) videos you liked? I'm looking at yoga or kids and to get the movements learnable they're kind of young. Might fly or might not, dunno. I like the idea of a menu.

We've done some of Adriene's videos.  She has some specifically for teens and classroom brain breaks.  For us she strikes a good balance of not little-kid silly, but also not taking the whole thing too seriously.  It's not like my kids love them or anything, but they're not too hard, not too easy, not too goofy, not too boring, etc.

That's where the challenges come in, because I had been working on helping him to do a mile on the treadmill. With is ASD, stuff like staying calm, operating the machine, etc are work. He's doing so much outside work this summer I stopped working on it. But it can come back up for fall, defnitely.

My kids have certain TV shows they are only allowed to watch while they walk on the treadmill.  Partly to incentivize treadmill use, partly to keep them from getting bored and stopping after only a few minutes, and partly because I have no interest in being subjected to the inanity of those particular shows in the main living area.  If you don't have a TV near the treadmill, you could always set up a laptop with Netflix or something.

• Thanks 1

My kids have been doing the Spartan exercises in the linked post above. It's just a one page printout where they do the exercises daily. We add bike for DD11 since she has been making noises about doing a kid triathalon, and once we can find an open pool (probably next year) she wants to be ready. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

My kids have been doing the Spartan exercises in the linked post above.

Thansk!! Off to check it out. The name is promising, lol. Whoa, that's crazy!! Lots of potential there, really great. Thank you for pointing that out!

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I found it!  Scroll down to the pdf linked or look here:  https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/xbx-plan.pdf 

I didn't ever use it, but it's an idea. Personally, I love Fitness blender if your child doesn't mind videos. They have hundreds so you could potentially let him/her decide what they want to try and add it to a calendar.  Fitness videos aren't for everyone though.  😃 My kids don't really like them.

Thanks!! Yeah I thinks his patience will be limited for videos. The Adriene list has some really short ones he might like. Okay I'm liking the quote in that booklet: wishing is not enough. :biggrin:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

hold it, how long are theywalking?? were you serieous on the half marathon hing? I've clearly had small vision LOLOL

My goal has always been for my kids to be able to walk more or less as many miles as they are years old.  That doesn't mean that they walk that far often (since walking 10+ miles is quite a time commitment), but I try to make sure they have the endurance to do it.

We have a normal outdoor walk on a nature trail that takes us to a little pond/puddle that sometimes has frogs.  That is 3 miles round trip, and we try to go twice a week whenever the weather is cooperative.  All last school year (until COVID), my oldest also had a comic drawing class that was held in a studio right past the end of that nature trail, so he would walk there and back himself once a week.

We have a McDonald's 2 miles in one direction along a walking path, and our library is 2 miles in the other direction.  So, both of those end up being 4 miles round trip with a break in the middle for ice cream or reading (though obviously we are not doing either of those right now).  For those outings I still take a stroller for my youngest...and because we will inevitably be hauling books home from the library...but all the other kids can handle those walks just fine.

So, all told, when the weather is ideal, my oldest is walking about 9-13 miles a week...mostly in ~3 mile stretches.  When it is super hot or super cold, I transition most of his walking to the treadmill, though he doesn't get in as much.  He typically walks about 1.5 miles (~45 minutes) a few times a week, and then one 3ish mile walk over the weekend.  For his weekend walk, I normally sit next to him and do oral school for about half of the time because even with TV time, he loses interest after 45 minutes of walking.  It was even nicer when we had two treadmills next to each other so that two kids or a child and parent could walk together.  But one of the treadmills bit the dust (that's what you get when you buy cheap treadmills off craigslist), so for now we are down to one.

So, yes, I have no question that my 6th grader could work his way up to walking a half marathon over the course of the year with little difficultly.  One of his same-age Spanish classmates regularly runs half marathons with his mom...but that is not something this mom has any interest in doing!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This year I don't feel comfortable sending my kids to their usual sports so we're doing kids yoga every morning (together with mindfulness exercises) and bike rides a couple times a week (which also doubles as our nature walks). 

Edit: We've been using https://ladybugyoga.com/ for the kids yoga. Sometimes I'll just let the kids pick up some yoga cards like from this set and we'll do the poses. But there's a channel called Cosmic Kids on youtube as well that might work.

Edited by NataliaMusk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

my oldest is walking about 9-13 miles a week...mostly in ~3 mile stretches.  When it is super hot or super cold, I transition most of his walking to the treadmill, though he doesn't get in as much.  He typically walks about 1.5 miles (~45 minutes) a few times a week, and then one 3ish mile walk over the weekend. 

Oh this is interesting! I'm realizing I undervalued walking for ds. It's very calming and doesn't have the regulation issues of running. Now I want to see his pace and see how long it would take to do 3 miles, hmm.

20 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

that's what you get when you buy cheap treadmills off craigslist

Yeah,lol mine growls a little but it keeps going. Someday it will need a new motor. It ha the virtue of being simple, with just green/red buttons, elevation.

Can I ask, how do you do your planning? I'm one handed a while longer (pecking with my awesome splint) and can't write. I feel like I have this perpetual dump of ideas in my head, electic materials, and not really a great way to organize them into categories and then plugging into plans. In my dreams that then converts to a weekly checklist, shazam...

24 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Can I ask, how do you do your planning? I'm one handed a while longer (pecking with my awesome splint) and can't write. I feel like I have this perpetual dump of ideas in my head, electic materials, and not really a great way to organize them into categories and then plugging into plans. In my dreams that then converts to a weekly checklist, shazam...

Sure.  My planning happens mostly in a Google Sheet.  I have a sheet (tab) for each year...so the first one (which was originally an Excel spreadsheet) shows my oldest as a K'er and my 2nd as a P3'er.  This year's sheet has a column for my 6th grader, one for my 4th grader, one for my 2nd grader and one for my K'er.  I have sheets made all the way through my oldest's senior year of high school.  In every sheet, along the left, I have basically the same list of school subjects.

Whenever I come across a resource that I may want to use, I put it somewhere in the sheet.  For example, right now I have CAP's The Art of Argument and Argument Builder listed for Peter's 7th grade logic.  I have no clue if we will use them next year, but I will keep moving them to wherever I think they fit best until we use them or I decide we're not going to and delete them.  Often, I will have several (or even many) resources listed as possibilities for one subject in a grade...I tend to leave them all there and just bold any we end up using so that when younger children come along I have a list of all the things I considered using the previous time through.

So then, when I go to firm up a year's plan for a kiddo, I look at my speadsheet.  What do I have listed for each subject?  Is there anything I had listed for the previous year that we didn't end up using and might be a good fit now?  If none of that seems like a good fit, then do I have anything listed for the following year that we might be ready for?

There is no Shazam about making our weekly checklist, but I do have a system.  I start a new spreadsheet for each child with the days of the week across the top and under each day two columns: resource and time allotted.  Toward the bottom I add a Total row that sums up all the times I have listed for Monday, Tuesday, etc.  So then I look at the resources I want to use for each subjects, see how it is divided up, and add it to the sheet.  Math, 45 minutes, 5 days a week - now each week day has a total of 45 minutes.  Anki memorization, 20 minutes, 3 days a week.  Piano, 20 minutes, 4 days a week.  Etc.  I keep adding subjects and moving them around until the daily totals reflect how much time I want school to take.

My oldest uses Trello for his weekly checklist; he has a list for each day of the week, and one list of things that must be finished by the end of the week but not on any particular day.  I quickly make cards based on the timing spreadsheet I made.  I save that as his schedule template which I will tweak as the year goes on.  Then each week I made a copy of the template, add any extra cards like Spanish tutoring or doctor's appointments and share it with the "team" (my son and husband) so that we can all check on it, write comments, add or tag cards, etc.

The process is almost identical with my younger kids, but I make them a paper schedule for each day of the week.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of that.

• Thanks 1