Menu

Do I need to teach vocabulary if he scored super high on his standardized test?

My 12yo DS who has dyslexia and an extremely high IQ, scored 12.8 grade level equivalency on the CAT Reading Vocabulary this year.  I have never done a vocabulary curriculum with him.  His father and I both have higher education degrees and use a broad vocabulary.  Should I start doing a classical roots vocabulary program with him, or just let him keep learning vocabulary as he reads and discusses with us?  (He also listens to a ton of books on audio, including many classical works, that are at a high school reading level.) Thanks for any insights.

I would also agree with the PPs, that there is so much I wanted to teach but didn't have time for.  However, if your student enjoys wordsmithing and etymologies, it may be something he wants to pursue.  Even for students with excellent vocabularies, you might consider the Caesar's English series by MCT, just because it's so much fun.  

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, daijobu said:

I would also agree with the PPs, that there is so much I wanted to teach but didn't have time for.  However, if your student enjoys wordsmithing and etymologies, it may be something he wants to pursue.  Even for students with excellent vocabularies, you might consider the Caesar's English series by MCT, just because it's so much fun.  

Love, love, love Caesar's English also. We did it reading together on the couch. 

• Like 1

Your instincts are great! My kiddos also scored similarly on the 1970 CAT. I opted to do Vocabulary from the Classical Roots with them--we did it fairly low-key, meaning I didn't have them write all of the answers out. I really wanted them to learn the roots as much as possible. I often gave them oral quizzes and asked them to use the words in sentences.

Worked out great for both of them!

HTH:)