Menu

Quick Covid question about multiple tests

PrincessMommy

My BIL has covid.  His first test was taken at a walk-in clinic.  It still hasn't come in.  When he landed in the hospital he got the quick test and it was positive. 

Will he be counted 2x as positive?

I have a cousin who had the test 3x in the hospital and all were negative (which surprised everyone including her drs)

Are all 3 negatives counted or just one for state statistics?

I'm curious how the statisticians are dealing with people who had multiple tests.

The short answer is all tests for one person counts only once. So if you test positive 15 times you are only counted in the statistics once.

I will look for a source but I've seen it stated on this board (I think) and a few other places.

• Like 2

Just now, Moonhawk said:

The short answer is all tests for one person counts only once. So if you test positive 15 times you are only counted in the statistics once.

I will look for a source but I've seen it stated on this board (I think) and a few other places.

Thank you!!    I wasn't sure how to search for such a question.   I don't follow many of the covid threads here for..reasons.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

My BIL has covid.  His first test was taken at a walk-in clinic.  It still hasn't come in.  When he landed in the hospital he got the quick test and it was positive. 

I have a cousin who had the test 3x in the hospital and all were negative (which surprised everyone including her drs)

I'm curious how the statisticians are dealing with people who had multiple tests.

I believe it depends on the state. For a while here I believe we counted a positive once, but counted each negative. 

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that. Apparently my information is AZ -based:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/verify/verify-contrary-to-social-media-claims-theres-no-evidence-arizona-is-double-counting-positive-tests-for-coronavirus/75-fbf8ad46-a2a8-4565-aa5f-0b313978bd7b

"

Arizona Health Services Director Dr. Cara Christ refuted the claim of double-counting at a news conference June 25.  

“We are aware the people will get multiple tests,” she said. “We work very carefully to de-duplicate. Each case is a unique individual.”

• Like 1

It depends. Texas does not de-duplicate test results that come from private labs.  I would hope that private labs de-duplicate the data, but I don't know if that is happening here.  Even if Acme Private Lab de-duplicates their own data, they would have no way to know if a patient went to Gizmo Private Lab and got tested there, so duplication could still happen.   

Edited by MissLemon

5 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I think some states were counting differently to others according to the Covid project.  Some were counting tests positive and some were counting people.  I don’t know if that’s been cleaned up yet.  I think public testing was ok but some private testing facilities weren’t separating it out.

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

It depends. Texas does not de-duplicate test results that come from private labs.  I would hope that private labs de-duplicate the data, but I don't know if that is happening here.  Even if Acme Private Lab de-duplicates their own data, they would have no way to know if a patient went to Gizmo Private Lab and got tested there, so duplication could still happen.   

exactly. Because of privacy laws here in America I don't know if the companies would have any way to know who is who.