Menu

Starting RightStart Math B without doing A?

annanyc

Any thoughts on starting a first grader on RightStart B when he hasn't done A? He's fairly but not crazy strong in math (in the advanced math group in his public school, but not ahead grade levels or anything). And he had the good fortune of being in a public school that offered Singapore math, which I know focuses on mental math. He's still not as strong in this area though as I'd like. He is comfortable with the number line, and with addition and subtraction- but he brute forces it each time, counting each number up or down. If you were to ask him 30 minus 10, he would sometimes count down by ones, and he would definitely do that every time you asked him 30-9. His subitizing skills aren't very strong. And I think he'd benefit from manipulatives and a real focus on the power of 5s and 10s in calculation. 

But he likes math now, Singapore math is pretty rigorous and isn't *not* working for him- there will be curricular continuity when/if he does return to school. I could just get the next set of Singapore math books to work through at home. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

If he's brute-forcing his way through 30-10, I'd find that concerning.  Definitely needs a ton of work on the 3-tens - 1-ten concept, to be able to do it easily. Rightstart doesn't use a number line at all (well, it sort of does for teaching rounding, later on) and instead really focuses on being able to see numbers, especially on the abacus.  I think RS B could be a good fit for him. 

Thanks! And you don't think starting in the middle would be a problem? I thought about buying A just to be able to go through things more slowly if necessary. But they're not exactly cheap- I'd rather not unless it's likely to be a necessary step to catch up.

Don't get A. If I had another child, I would skip A and start with B, even having the A book here already. Spend a bit of time on the review lessons at the beginning of the book, and it will be good. 

I will caution that sometimes RS can feel to leap ahead for a child who isn't thinking conceptually about a particular thing. I've had it happen more than once, and every time it works to simply let it marinate a bit and come back to it later. And if there are any challenges with processing speed or working memory, the mental math will need to be adjusted to accomodate for that (we jot down things as needed instead of holding in the student's head).

The older (1st) edition of RS B can be done without A very easily.  In fact, it is set up so that you can skip the first 20 lessons if you've done RS A (1st edition), otherwise, those first 20 lessons bring you up to speed on the RS method.  The newer edition, however, is harder to jump into at level B.  I'd suggest buying the older version if you want to start right in at B.  

Having said that, SM standards really puts a huge emphasis on mental math and place value.  You need to read and understand the home instructor's guide in order to implement it correctly, you can't just open the book up and teach unless you are already very familiar with Asian math methods.  The program will work just as well as RS if used correctly.  If your kid has a habit of counting down or counting up for - and +, I would use a manipulative like cuisinaire rods, which discourages counting methods in favor of subitizing.

K-3rd grade math should definitely be taught in a  manipulative heavy manner, so don't feel any rush to move away from them.  

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

The older (1st) edition of RS B can be done without A very easily.  In fact, it is set up so that you can skip the first 20 lessons if you've done RS A (1st edition), otherwise, those first 20 lessons bring you up to speed on the RS method.  The newer edition, however, is harder to jump into at level B.  I'd suggest buying the older version if you want to start right in at B.  

Having said that, SM standards really puts a huge emphasis on mental math and place value.  You need to read and understand the home instructor's guide in order to implement it correctly, you can't just open the book up and teach unless you are already very familiar with Asian math methods.  The program will work just as well as RS if used correctly.  If your kid has a habit of counting down or counting up for - and +, I would use a manipulative like cuisinaire rods, which discourages counting methods in favor of subitizing.

K-3rd grade math should definitely be taught in a  manipulative heavy manner, so don't feel any rush to move away from them.  

I have 2nd edition. There are 11 review lessons at the beginning of B. It sounds like the review at the beginning of 1st edition is longer, but I'd still start with B with 2nd edition if I had it to start over.

It's not that I think A is a waste of time exactly, it's that I don't think it's worth the cost of the manual. A thoughtful run through the review lessons with time spent on any areas of weakness, plus math in normal life, would have been enough. 

Ymmv, of course. 😊

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, annanyc said:

But he likes math now, Singapore math is pretty rigorous and isn't *not* working for him- there will be curricular continuity when/if he does return to school. I could just get the next set of Singapore math books to work through at home. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

We moved to RSB somewhere in the middle of Singapore 1 because it wasn't working for my son.  We made it 3/4 through RS and then switched into Singapore 2A.  It was seamless and smooth sailing with Singapore from that point on.

42 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

I have 2nd edition. There are 11 review lessons at the beginning of B. It sounds like the review at the beginning of 1st edition is longer, but I'd still start with B with 2nd edition if I had it to start over.

It's not that I think A is a waste of time exactly, it's that I don't think it's worth the cost of the manual. A thoughtful run through the review lessons with time spent on any areas of weakness, plus math in normal life, would have been enough. 

Ymmv, of course. 😊

I think you can jump in at B even in second edition because when it first came out they said you could switch first to second edition through level B....if you had done B first edition you could go to C second edition and beyond that they start diverging.  Level A is kindergarten and I don’t see a problem with jumping in at B since it isn’t his first exposure to math, you just might need to spend a bit more time on some of the first few lessons.  I have liked the notes in the second edition levels I have used and despite being a long time first edition user I am switching my second grader to Second edition level D this fall.  I love RS and I hope the OP loves RS.  As always, be sure to play the games!

• Like 1