Menu

Spanish 3 homeschool

Hi everyone,

It is looking like DS15 will be homeschooled next year. He's super self-motivated and hard-working. He wants to learn Spanish so he can travel to South America and bird there. So far, he's been working through Practical Spanish Grammar on his own since October 2018. He just started Year 3 of The ULAT. He meets with a tutor about once every other week for speaking practice and to get help with things he's not understood. The tutor is very good at what he does but he is more of a support role than a leader in DS's education. He was in public school this past year and maintained about a 99% in his Honors Spanish 2. When the schools went remote in March, he just picked up where he left off when we stopped homeschooling, adding in the ULAT where it made sense for him.

DS finds that he needs more practice than he gets with the PSG book, which makes sense since the book is designed more as a review than as a holistic first course.

I'm trying to figure out a good approach to Spanish for the coming year so that he gets authentic content, grammar support, and good exercises. We're not super-textbooky here, though I'm not against using a good one. I've thought of incorporating Destinos somehow, so he at least gets reinforcement of PSG, and slowing the pace.

Emily

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Destinos! I found a used textbook and workbooks online to do alongside the video episodes. Some of the textbook/workbook exercises required audio CDs and some of those were very expensive to buy used, so we muddled through without using all of them. Oldest DS got through all of Destinos and CLEP'd out of 3 semester's of college Spanish and 2nd D'S got through about half of Destinis and tested out of 2. 

• Like 2

Have you looked at Practice Makes Perfect books? I don't know if they would be any different than PSG. I love his specific, cool, unusual goal!

Does he use Duolingo? I like it for forcing me to review things I already know on a regular basis. I also like the "tips" but I would never use it without a grammar book.

I wonder if he would benefit from News in Slow Spanish or Lupa? NiSS is great because it is current events, so you can pick up new vocabulary in context. They also have a grammar section and a culture story. I don't know what, if any, written sports are available but you can poke around their website.

Lupa is an app for intermediate level Spanish learners that works in conjunction with the podcast Radio Ambulante. It let's you vary the playback speed and read along with partial or full translation. I don't know if there is any explicit grammar support or not. I will caution that the podcast topics are relevant to the world today, but may not all be suitable for your high school student.

• Like 1