Menu

Getting started with homeschool

Elizabeth86

My cousin wants to homeschool her daughter next year.  She will be going into 1st.  What advice should I give her? 

Also, she will be homeschooling her 8th grade step-daughter.  My oldest is 8, do I'm clueless here.

Also, she is in Kentucky.  I quickly looked at the laws.  It looked like no end of year assessment.  It did say something about keeping grades and attendance and required subjects.  I know nothing about how strict or involved the school board would be about this.  Any KY homeschooler have any info for me to share with her?

Edited by Elizabeth86
Add info

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My cousin wants to homeschool her daughter next year.  She will be going into 1st.  What advice should I give her? 

Also, she will be homeschooling her 8th grade step-daughter.  My oldest is 8, do I'm clueless here.

Also, she is in Kentucky.  I quickly looked at the laws.  It looked like no end of year assessment.  It did say something about keeping grades and attendance and required subjects.  I know nothing about how strict or involved the school board would be about this.  Any KY homeschooler have any info for me to share with her?

I'm not in Kentucky, either, but as far as I can tell, she sends in a notice of attendance each year and that's it (of course, she should check the laws herself, which is the primary advice you should give her). 'The "required subjects" are the ones she would teach anyway so that's no big deal. She'll want to teach her dd to read and write, and arithmetic, and all the fun stuff people do with their little dc. 🙂 It doesn't look as if the local schools have any authority to be involved with homeschoolers at all.

Here's a link to a statewide association. She should contact them.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I'm not in Kentucky, either, but as far as I can tell, she sends in a notice of attendance each year and that's it (of course, she should check the laws herself, which is the primary advice you should give her). 'The "required subjects" are the ones she would teach anyway so that's no big deal. She'll want to teach her dd to read and write, and arithmetic, and all the fun stuff people do with their little dc. 🙂 It doesn't look as if the local schools have any authority to be involved with homeschoolers at all.

Here's a link to a statewide association. She should contact them.

Oh yes I did tell her to check the laws for herself.  I read on hsdla I think, about required 175 day school year and 6 hour days.  I'm just trying to think if how to say, ignore that.  6 year olds shouldn't do school for 6 hours.

Also, in my earliest days I seem to remember you (or maybe someone else) posting a link to an article explaining why it's best to teach phonics and why the sight words approach is a bad idea.  She has been taught sight words, so I wanted her to understand why phonics is so important.

Edited by Elizabeth86

Things I would tell someone starting out with a 1st grader and an 8th grader (after finding out homeschool laws for her state):
1. Set goals.
2. Carefully consider what you as a teacher will need in order to succeed.
3. Research materials that will best achieve your goals and fit your needs as a teacher.
4. Be prepared that it will take several months for all of you to transition into how your family learns at home.
5. Be prepared that this is going to take a lot of time/energy on YOUR part as the parent; this is now your JOB. You have to actually DO the teaching -- esp. a 1st grader cannot self-teach or work independently, and even an 8th grader is going to need a lot of scaffolding -- of you sitting with the student to mentor through the writing process, and to discuss the literature and history, tutor the math and science, etc. Most students do not thrive at learning by being sent off to work solo through a stack of workbooks and textbooks, or sit for hours with an educational computer program.

She might also look for a local homeschool support group in her area, and see if a more experienced mom can take an afternoon or two to walk her through how to get started; what subjects to cover; what different materials look like; and what a typical day might look like.

If this is just a one-year trial or temporary homeschooling situation, then I'd keep things very basic (see below). If the plan is to homeschool at least the 1st grader for a number of years, then the parent would benefit from reading a book or two on getting started with homeschooling, and learning about educational philosophies, to better be able to set goals for what is important in educating the children.

1st grade
This can be very basic:
- learning to read/getting solid with reading
- phonics
- handwriting practice
- and math.

Spelling and Grammar can wait until either 2nd/3rd grade, or at least until the spring semester of 1st grade, so they can get their feet under them. Also, daily, mom reads aloud from good books. And if there's more time left in the school schedule: get some exposure to History, Science, and Geography through reading books or visiting museums or doing some fun hands-on activities. Music and Art are fun, but not required. Mazes, hidden picture puzzles, beginning logic puzzles, etc. are fun solo activities and help strengthen critical thinking, but again, are a bonus. Lots of imaginative play, discovery explorations, follow bunny trails of interest -- and have fun!

8th grade
Will the student be attending a high school, or homeschooling through high school? If possibly going to attend a high school and the homeschooling is just for 8th grade, then for curricula, I'd recommend sticking close to what the student has already been using and is familiar with (assuming the student has been succeeding with that material) -- or look at what types of materials the student would be using in 9th grade at the high school (which would make transition into the high school smoother). Possibly see if the school has a virtual charter and go with that -- free materials, used by the school, advice/help in teaching the student, and the virtual charter takes care of all of the administrative aspect (grades, transcripts, etc.)

If the goal for homeschooling 8th grade is to get the student ready for attending a high school, then that esp. means solid writing and math. That would mean completing Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 in 8th grade in order to be ready for Algebra 1 or Geometry in 9th grade. And for writing, that means complete sentences, complete paragraphs, paragraph structure, and beginning essays -- 1 paragraph; multi-paragraph (3-6 paragraphs), and possibly a multi-page writing assignment -- and writing of various types. Also practice of revising papers (major fixes: add what's missing; remove what doesn't fit; rearrange as needed for better flow; fix run-ons and fragments; etc.); and proof-editing (small fixes, like typos, punctuation/capitalization, double words, left-out words, changed verb tense half-way through, etc.)

It would also mean learning to touch type (i.e., type without looking or doing "hunt-and-peck"), if the student doesn't already know how (all papers are typed in high school, not written by hand) -- and also be familiar with basic computer skills -- how to set up, change format, and save a document in a Word Processing program, for example, as well as basic online safety.

ETA -- Apologies for my harsh tone for point #5 above -- I've just seen too many people asking for "free curriculum that the student can do independently", 😩thinking that is what homeschooling is, so that came out sounding a little abrupt or accusing, and I didn't mean it that way. 😉 That is super-kind of you to help your cousin learn about homeschooling, and help her get started. BEST of luck to you both! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Things I would tell someone starting out with a 1st grader and an 8th grader (after finding out homeschool laws for her state):
1. Set goals.
2. Carefully consider what you as a teacher will need in order to succeed.
3. Research materials that will best achieve your goals and fit your needs as a teacher.
4. Be prepared that it will take several months for all of you to transition into how your family learns at home.
5. Be prepared that this is going to take a lot of time/energy on YOUR part as the parent; this is now your JOB. You have to actually DO the teaching -- esp. a 1st grader cannot self-teach or work independently, and even an 8th grader is going to need a lot of scaffolding, of you sitting with the student to mentor through the writing process, and to discuss the literature, etc. -- most students do not thrive at learning by being sent off to work solo through a stack of workbooks and textbooks, or sit for hours with an educational computer program.

She might also look for a local homeschool support group in her area, and see if a more experienced mom can take an afternoon or two to walk her through how to get started; what subjects to cover; what different materials look like; and what a typical day might look like.

If this is just a one-year trial or temporary homeschooling situation, then I'd keep things very basic (see below). If the plan is to homeschool at least the 1st grader for a number of years, then the parent would benefit from reading a book or two on getting started with homeschooling, and learning about educational philosophies, to better be able to set goals for what is important in educating the children.

1st grade
This can be very basic:
- learning to read/getting solid with reading
- phonics
- handwriting practice
- and math.

Spelling and Grammar can wait until either 2nd/3rd grade, or at least until the spring semester of 1st grade, so they can get their feet under them. Also, daily, mom reads aloud from good books. And if there's more time left in the school schedule: get some exposure to History, Science, and Geography through reading books or visiting museums or doing some fun hands-on activities. Music and Art are fun, but not required. Mazes, hidden picture puzzles, beginning logic puzzles, etc. are fun solo activities and help strengthen critical thinking, but again, are a bonus. Lots of imaginative play, discovery explorations, follow bunny trails of interest -- and have fun!

8th grade
Will the student be attending a high school, or homeschooling through high school? If possibly going to attend a high school and the homeschooling is just for 8th grade, then for curricula, I'd recommend sticking close to what the student has already been using and is familiar with (assuming the student has been succeeding with that material) -- or look at what types of materials the student would be using in 9th grade at the high school (which would make transition into the high school smoother). Possibly see if the school has a virtual charter and go with that -- free materials, used by the school, advice/help in teaching the student, and the virtual charter takes care of all of the administrative aspect (grades, transcripts, etc.)

If the goal for homeschooling 8th grade is to get the student ready for attending a high school, then that esp. means solid writing and math. That would mean completing Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 in 8th grade in order to be ready for Algebra 1 or Geometry in 9th grade. And for writing, that means complete sentences, complete paragraphs, paragraph structure, and beginning essays -- 1 paragraph; multi-paragraph (3-6 paragraphs), and possibly a multi-page writing assignment -- and writing of various types. Also practice of revising papers (major fixes: add what's missing; remove what doesn't fit; rearrange as needed for better flow; fix run-ons and fragments; etc.); and proof-editing (small fixes, like typos, punctuation/capitalization, double words, left-out words, changed verb tense half-way through, etc.)

It would also mean learning to touch type (i.e., type without looking or doing "hunt-and-peck"), if the student doesn't already know how (all papers are typed in high school, not written by hand) -- and also be familiar with basic computer skills -- how to set up, change format, and save a document in a Word Processing program, for example, as well as basic online safety.

ETA -- Apologies for my harsh tone for point #5 above -- I've just seen too many people asking for "free curriculum that the student can do independently", 😩thinking that is what homeschooling is, so that came out sounding a little abrupt or accusing, and I didn't mean it that way. 😉 That is super-kind of you to help your cousin learn about homeschooling, and help her get started. BEST of luck to you both! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Wonderful.  That was so focused.  My thoughts were all over the place when I was talking with her.  So organized.  Thanks SO much! Great point.  I'm not sure if she is looking for a one year thing or to make homeschool be a forever thing.  This will be a great starting point.  Right now she is in the very very early stages of her decision.  I'm pretty sure she thinks homeschool is just school at home, so I'm hoping I'll be able to help her be gentle with the first grade academics if she is in it for the long haul.  I know I struggled so much wanting him to learn everything he would have in public school. Great advice.  Thanks again.  

6 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Wonderful.  That was so focused.  My thoughts were all over the place when I was talking with her.  So organized.  Thanks SO much! Great point.  I'm not sure if she is looking for a one year thing or to make homeschool be a forever thing.  This will be a great starting point.  Right now she is in the very very early stages of her decision.  I'm pretty sure she thinks homeschool is just school at home, so I'm hoping I'll be able to help her be gentle with the first grade academics if she is in it for the long haul.  I know I struggled so much wanting him to learn everything he would have in public school. Great advice.  Thanks again.  

PS: An 8th grade student would likely need to cover the subjects of:

- Language Arts:
   * Literature (reading/discussing books)
   * Writing (Composition)
   * Grammar
   * possibly Spelling
   * possibly Vocabulary
- Math -- probably Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1
- Science -- many 8th graders do Physical Science (sometimes called Integrated Science), but choice of topic is flexible
- Social Studies -- many 8th graders do World Geography or World History, but this is flexible
- optional: Foreign Language -- some students start this in middle school, some start in high school
- optional: Fine Arts -- many 8th graders are studying an instrument, or doing theater, or taking art classes, or other topic
- optional: Electives -- examples: PE, Health, Religious Studies, Computer, Logic, personal interest subjects, etc.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

PS: An 8th grade student would likely need to cover the subjects of:

- Language Arts -- Literature (reading/discussing books); Writing (Composition); Grammar; possibly Spelling; possibly Vocabulary
- Math -- probably Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1
- Science -- many 8th graders do Physical Science (sometimes called Integrated Science), but choice of topic is flexible
- Social Studies -- many 8th graders do World Geography or World History, but this is flexible
- Foreign Language -- optional; some students start this in middle school, some start in high school
- Fine Arts -- optional; many 8th graders are studying an instrument, or doing theater, or taking art classes, or other topic
- Electives -- examples: PE, Health, Religious Studies, Computer, Logic, personal interest subjects, etc.

Thank you.  I feel so overwhelmed thinking about giving advice for 8th grade to her.  The thought of 8th grade scares me lol.  I am not at all familiar with curriculum past elementary school really.  

38 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If she's doing it because of coronamess, she might find it easier to have the structure of a charter/cyber school.

I'll find out if she has any long term goals or if it will be temporary.  Can you fill me in about charter or cyber.  Is cyber school something like k12? I know nothing about this kind of option. Would you suggest this for the first grader as well?

25 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I'll find out if she has any long term goals or if it will be temporary.  Can you fill me in about charter or cyber.  Is cyber school something like k12? I know nothing about this kind of option. Would you suggest this for the first grader as well?

I'm not sure what is available in every state, so she's just going to have to google. In our state they're funded so we have LOTS of options. My point is it will be structured, have supports, provide materials, etc. It will be the thing closest to what they're used to and many people like the structure. If she wants to homeschool independently, have at it, lol. Cybers can even help with the IEP process and implement the IEP, getting the student access to intervention services, speech therapy, etc.

29 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Would you suggest this for the first grader as well?

If the 1st grader is solely within their marriage, their choice. I agree it would be an easy age to do a Timberdoodle core. But for that 8th grader with shared parenting, eliminate disagreements and go cyber/charter, kwim? Smooth transition to high school, lots of advantages there. And if they want it for the 1st grader, yes some of the programs are charming. I think it just varies. I wouldn't want it, but that doesn't mean others don't like it. 

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Cyber schools are going to be all-online instruction. I'd only go that route with an 8th grader, and only if it was going to be a temporary situation (like, just for next year). While some students click with computer instruction for some subjects, all students at all grade levels need human interactions (instruction, tutoring, discussion) for engaging deeper with the material and working with the concepts.

I would NOT go with online for a 1st grader -- elementary-aged students need direct 1-on-1 instruction and interaction. And, it's not that hard to cover reading, phonics, handwriting, and math at home for 1st grade -- not worth it to pay for online, in my opinion.

Edited by Lori D.

43 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If the 1st grader is solely within their marriage, their choice. I agree it would be an easy age to do a Timberdoodle core. But for that 8th grader with shared parenting, eliminate disagreements and go cyber/charter, kwim? Smooth transition to high school, lots of advantages there. And if they want it for the 1st grader, yes some of the programs are charming. I think it just varies. I wouldn't want it, but that doesn't mean others don't like it. 

Well the first grader us her child and the 8th grader is his child.

43 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Cyber schools are going to be all-online instruction. I'd only go that route with an 8th grader, and only if it was going to be a temporary situation (like, just for next year). While some students click with computer instruction for some subjects, all students at all grade levels need human interactions (instruction, tutoring, discussion) for engaging deeper with the material and working with the concepts.

I would NOT go with online for a 1st grader -- elementary-aged students needs direct 1-on-1 instruction and interaction. And, it's not that hard to cover reading, phonics, handwriting, and math at home for 1st grade -- not worth it to pay for online, in my opinion.

Yes, she is just planning temporary homeschool for the 8th grader.  She says she might go longer for the little one.

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

Yes, she is just planning temporary homeschool for the 8th grader.  She says she might go longer for the little one.

Yup, the cyber/charter for the 8th grader and whatever she wants for the 1st grader. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Timberdoodle these days. Their cores are very balanced, with hands on, creativity, but very doable. Just plunk out the money and great stuff comes. https://timberdoodle.com/collections/curriculum-kits

• Like 1

Btw, some states are temporarily shifting their reporting laws. So she really should connect with a group local to her and see what's up. Our state normally requires assessments, blah blah, and all that is off this year. You still have to *notify* but you don't have to provide the assessment of a portfolio review or standardized testing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

For the 8th grader:
Kentucky Virtual Charter -- public school charter; hard to tell, but it looks like they use K-12 materials, which has both free (basic pkg.) and for-a-fee options
Discover K12 -- homeschool online; looks like they also use K-12 materials; they also have a basic free package, and optional "premium services" for $99/year
Time 4 Learning -- homeschool online; $20/month; national have some intro to homeschool articles on their website -- here's the one for starting to homeschool in KY

For the 1st grader:
While I do agree with Peter Pan that an all-in-one kit can be great for starting, since this family is just homeschooling temporarily and only "might go longer" for the 1st grader, I don't know as though a Timberdoodle kit is the best route to go. the specific choice of materials in the Timberdoodle kits are expensive ($425 for the basic kit, $1,000 for the "elite" kit), and the materials probably require more from a parent teaching-wise, and have a steep learning curve for the parent in learning to use those materials.

For suggesting materials, it would really help to know the 1st grader's reading and writing abilities. If the student just learned to read, or is still in process of learning to read, then the parent would need a learn to read program; if the student is reading well, then some phonics workbooks to reinforce, and lots of beginning level books would be the way to go. JMO.

13 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

For the 8th grader:
Kentucky Virtual Charter -- public school charter; hard to tell, but it looks like they use K-12 materials, which has both free (basic pkg.) and for-a-fee options
Discover K12 -- homeschool online; looks like they also use K-12 materials; they also have a basic free package, and optional "premium services" for $99/year
Time 4 Learning -- homeschool online; $20/month; national have some intro to homeschool articles on their website -- here's the one for starting to homeschool in KY

For the 1st grader:
While I do agree with Peter Pan that an all-in-one kit can be great for starting, since this family is just homeschooling temporarily and only "might go longer" for the 1st grader, I don't know as though a Timberdoodle kit is the best route to go. the specific choice of materials in the Timberdoodle kits are expensive ($425 for the basic kit, $1,000 for the "elite" kit), and the materials probably require more from a parent teaching-wise, and have a steep learning curve for the parent in learning to use those materials.

For suggesting materials, it would really help to know the 1st grader's reading and writing abilities. If the student just learned to read, or is still in process of learning to read, then the parent would need a learn to read program; if the student is reading well, then some phonics workbooks to reinforce, and lots of beginning level books would be the way to go. JMO.

Great! I was thinking the same about timberdoodle.  

She says she reads well, but they did sight words so she needs to go through a phonics program for sure.  I was thinking of Ordinary Parents Guide would be a good choice.

• Like 1

For KY, she's just required to send in notification letter to Director of Pupil Personnel for her county within two weeks of the start of the school year, every year.  She can find sample letters, possibly on HSLDA's site that tell what information should be included.  Any recommendations regarding attendance and grades are considered "best practices" which we are expected to follow, but nothing is required in terms of testing, reviews, etc.  

24 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

For KY, she's just required to send in notification letter to Director of Pupil Personnel for her county within two weeks of the start of the school year, every year.  She can find sample letters, possibly on HSLDA's site that tell what information should be included.  Any recommendations regarding attendance and grades are considered "best practices" which we are expected to follow, but nothing is required in terms of testing, reviews, etc.  

So does anyone ever ask to see portfolios and such?

...She says she reads well, but they did sight words so she needs to go through a phonics program for sure.  I was thinking of Ordinary Parents Guide would be a good choice.

Perfect. That's what I was thinking too.

The other question I have is secular, or Christian, or does it matter?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Perfect. That's what I was thinking too.

The other question I have is secular, or Christian, or does it matter?

She said she is open to both.  For math I was thinking R & S or Math Mammoth.  I'm having her read about conceptual vs procedural math to see which she might prefer.

• Like 1

She said she is open to both.  For math I was thinking R & S or Math Mammoth.  I'm having her read about conceptual vs procedural math to see which she might prefer.

Those are both great ideas.

Another straight forward math program to teach at that age:
- Horizons -- Cathy Duffy review

And if wanting to go full-on Asian style math:
- Math in Focus -- US edition of Singapore Math; Cathy Duffy review

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

It's been a while since I looked at horizons.  Is it conceptual or procedural or spiral or mastery.

Traditional/procedural and more spiral-based than mastery. No personal experience with it, but I'm guessing that it sticks with a topic for a bit longer at a stretch than Saxon does. I would label Saxon at the far end of spiral-based. Nope, revising that based on the few sample pages I can see.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

For someone just starting out, I would highly suggest they just pick out a core somewhere that aligns with their religion (or lack) and has lesson plans, and then over the course of the first year they can learn about the different styles and companies and their kids' needs.  Oak meadow, abeka, mp, would all work fine for the first grader. But yeah, the 8th grader would need something more online given the custody and plans. But I think it's unrealistic to expect most moms to build their curriculum from the ground up unless they just like that sort of thing -- lots of people on here do, but IRL I never meet people who do.