Menu

Plastic Face Shields

Teaching3bears

I was in a store where the clerk was wearing one.  She kept putting a finger in her mouth and picking at something between her teeth.  So, in that case I don't think it was doing too much good.

I haven't seen any study on how well they work.  It seems as if they would help prevent direct spray if someone sneezes or coughs directly toward someone.  But because masks seem to be more effective if they fit snuggly without gaps, it does not seem like the shields would be as effective as masks.  On the other hand, in addition to being able to see facial expressions, most of the shields do have the benefit of covering the eyes, also, for those who do not wear glasses.  

• Like 1

I've seen that they can be effective if they are worn and fitted correctly.  I'll try to find the article I saw but in the meantime the parts I remember are - they need to fit from the forehead down below the level of the chin and curve all the way back to the ears.   It can only be a certain amount of space away from the face, I think it was less than 4 inches but I'm not sure.  00

• Like 2

Okay, I have a few. I am biased on this subject:

I LOVE face shields. The ones I have are comfortable, super easy to see through, and can be worn multiple ways (around the neck or on the forehead). They are light and after I put it on after a few minutes I forget I have it on. 

Re interacting with people: I get a lot of surprised looks, but it is significantly easier to talk with people and express yourself (if you aren't wearing a cloth mask as well of course). Your voice is still muffled a bit for them to hear because of the plastic but no more than the cloth, perhaps a bit less if you wear on the forehead instead of the neck (but I haven't really tested that).

Agree they seem to make most sense in close interactions or where you may be closely interacting with people. I live in an area where few people are masking or following the guidelines for distance (maybe 20-30%? I've been laughed at for wearing a mask) so I prefer it over just a cloth mask. 

For people who cannot wear a mask [like my mom] or are overly concerned about their makeup [like my mom] or don't really "believe in masks" [like my mom] this has been the best compromise product ever.

With the ones I have I have no idea how the clerk in @Bootsie's story was able to touch her face. The couple times I've wanted to push my glasses up I've bonked the mask instead, lol. But it could be a different style.

I can give the link to the brand I got if people are interested, they come in tons of different prints and are reusable.  eta: https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

Moonhawk, I'd be interested in seeing the face shield you mentioned. For indoors, unless the shield fits all the way with no gap, it does not protect much because airosols floats all over the place and can get to a person if there are gaps between the face and the shield. The ones  that protect the best are the ones used in China, South Korea, and Italy. 

2 minutes ago, kand said:

I’m curious because I’ve only seen one type and it sounds different from what you describe. Perhaps people who don’t wear masks due to comfort (do any of us wearing masks think they’re super comfy?! You adapt, though) would at least be willing to wear a shield. 

https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

4 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Moonhawk, I'd be interested in seeing the face shield you mentioned. For indoors, unless the shield fits all the way with no gap, it does not protect much because airosols floats all over the place and can get to a person if there are gaps between the face and the shield. The ones  that protect the best are the ones used in China, South Korea, and Italy. 

I know the ones I have come with an option for a tighter/closed fit at the forehead for better protection, if you opt to wear it that way. For me it does go around to just about my ears, and it's adjustable so that it could probably go back a bit further with less gap between me and the plastic if I wanted. Main thing is I wear glasses so have it up a bit farther so I can turn my head without touching (I wear on neck mostly, this wouldn't be an issue if I wore around the forehead instead). 

And, right, that's why I think these make most sense in close quarters where you're having close interactions. I think clerks and salespeople working in retail would benefit most from these, and would be better than just the plastic guards they put up between the cashier and shopper at the grocery markets, for example.

Still, I like to use it too and at the very least it keeps me from touching my face, which is apparently something I do a lot even when I'm trying not to 🙂  

I'll add link to my original post, too, just so it's easier. 

Moonhawk, they do look comfortable and easy for breathing. They definitely have a place for protection. I generally like to wear a N95 mask and eye protective glasses when I go grocery shopping or indoors with more people than I am comfortable with. I have been meeting    with friends outdoors and I gennerally just keep a good distance and do not wear a mask. But for indoors N95 mask is a must for me. 

2 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Moonhawk, they do look comfortable and easy for breathing. They definitely have a place for protection. I generally like to wear a N95 mask and eye protective glasses when I go grocery shopping or indoors with more people than I am comfortable with. I have been meeting    with friends outdoors and I gennerally just keep a good distance and do not wear a mask. But for indoors N95 mask is a must for me. 

Makes sense. I actually use both a cloth mask and the face shield most times. But on occasion will only use one or the other depending on situation/availability.

Also, I like your either for eye protective glasses. I guess this is kind of my version since I wear weird clunky glasses that don't work under lab-like protection. 

And, if I may say so myself, I look fabulously styled with different prints 😉  I've never coordinated my outfits so much! lol (kinda joking but not really,,,,)

• Like 1

I wear them at work as a part of a PPE system (also googles, mask, etc).  They bounce sound backward- you have to speak up so the person in front of you can hear you, but the people behind you can hear you loud and clear, very LOUD and clear.

Face shields are meant to be used with a mask, not in place of one. They will not protect you even a little bit from aerosols (you are still breathing in the air around you), nor will they protect others from your aerosols. They will keep droplets from flying into your eyes, or flying out of your mouth/nose. 

• Like 1