Menu

Grammar for 4th and 6th graders

kesmom

I am looking for a grammar option to do together for my 4th and 6th graders. They have not had formal grammar, just lighter exposure through Mad Libs and a simple Scholastic workbook they did last year. My oldest child has done Fix-it, but I know for sure that it will not be a good option for my 6th grader at this point. I've looked at a bunch of options over the weekend but I'm not sure I want to turn this into a full blown Curriculum Research Project lol so I'm looking at these two.....

FLL? Could they start at level 4? Or level 3 at a faster pace? I'm only familiar with levels 1-3 but it's been a while and I just don't remember it much. 

Easy Grammar? What level would I put them in? I haven't used this before but I know it's been around forever.

You could do Junior Analytical Grammar with both. https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/our-products/junior-analytical-grammar/  I haven't used it, but it's the right level, right idea. 

If you want to pick a grade leveled text, I would probably go ahead and do a 6th grade text with both and be done with it, assuming the reading level of the younger is there. Or split the difference and do a 5th this year and 7th next. I did Shurley with my dd, but there was a HUGE jump from 5th/6th to 7th. I think I'd probably be looking at Abeka or R&S instead for this, just because I was so displeased by the jump. It gave them too little time with the more complex grammar that got dumped on them in the 7th. 

Abeka is really great btw. I know people around here like R&S, but we ended up pretty happily in the Abeka sequence by high school. It's easy to trim down to just what you need, assigning them to do just 3 problems from each section, a light touch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kesmom said:

a simple Scholastic workbook they did last year.

Which one? There are some really great grammar workbooks like that!! I like Success with Grammar from Scholastic, and it's grade leveled. I'd probably just put the kids in their respective grades for that, just me. Tricky Grammar from Carson Dellosa is pretty cute, but it only comes in a grade 4. But sure, look at the other publishers. I use a lot of stuff from those mainstream publishers because it's so easy to get something charming that fits my ds. 

• Like 1

My favorite grammar book (kind of embarrassed that I have a favorite grammar book)  is Rod and Staff for grade 5. Make sure you do a lot of it aloud, together, and for other parts, I just let the kids write in the book. It is solid and provides a solid foundation.

• Like 1