Menu

Lamb's or Nesbit Shakespeare

lwest

Which of these Shakespeare books do you like better and why? Would you choose Tales from Shakespeare by Charles Lamb or Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by E.Nesbit or, would you choose both? My kids range from 4-10. 

Also, my oldest DD will be going into grade 6 and I would like to have her start reading Shakespeare directly. Do you have a favourite to start with?

If you can get a hold of the Coville picture book versions, they're AMAZING. I can't really say I was a lover of either of the retellings. We went directly to videos. I don't really have any fond memories of *reading* Shakespeare in high school, so I never asked dd to. We watched as many of the Ambrose productions as we could get through the library. If your youngers don't like those, there are BBC cartoon versions too.

Oh, oh, oh!!! For your 6th grader, have you seen the COMIC Shakespeare versions that VP sells?  She ADORED these. https://veritaspress.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=shakespeare comics#q=shakespeare comics&idx=magento2_default_products&p=0&nR[visibility_search][%3D][0]=1  And 6th is really the PERFECT age for them. So so highly recommend.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If you can get a hold of the Coville picture book versions, they're AMAZING. I can't really say I was a lover of either of the retellings. We went directly to videos. I don't really have any fond memories of *reading* Shakespeare in high school, so I never asked dd to. We watched as many of the Ambrose productions as we could get through the library. If your youngers don't like those, there are BBC cartoon versions too.

Oh, oh, oh!!! For your 6th grader, have you seen the COMIC Shakespeare versions that VP sells?  She ADORED these. https://veritaspress.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=shakespeare comics#q=shakespeare comics&idx=magento2_default_products&p=0&nR[visibility_search][%3D][0]=1  And 6th is really the PERFECT age for them. So so highly recommend.

Those comic book versions look great. Thanks for the recommendations. Also, the illustrations on the Coville ones look so dreamy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

COMIC Shakespeare versions that VP sells

I've just been looking around and I found these ones too. I wonder how they compare to the Veritas Press ones. The VP ones have original text (50%) and modern English and these Classical Comics ones have options of original, plain text, or quick text. 

5 hours ago, lwest said:

I've just been looking around and I found these ones too. I wonder how they compare to the Veritas Press ones. The VP ones have original text (50%) and modern English and these Classical Comics ones have options of original, plain text, or quick text. 

I'm trying to find online samples, but I'll just go find my copies and compare. I think the formats might be really different. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Shakespeare-Marcia-Williams/dp/0763623237/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=comic+book+shakespeare&qid=1592277834&sr=8-4  Have you see the Marcia Williams tellings? 

I'm really in the enjoyment camp, if that makes sense. I have a dd who could read anything and a ds who struggles to understand anything, haha. So it's just what works for the kid. I *think* the ones you found are graphic novels. I want to compare that to the ones VP sells and see. I don't recall them being that way but I didn't read them a lot. Those would be different kids, if I could suggest. 

So those pics are from the Comic Book Shakespeare that VP is selling. My copy says you can also get the at https://www.shakespearecomics.com  which might have more samples. She read these from probably (just guessing) 4th-8th, 3rd to 8th. So they're making it engaging for a strong reader who is ready to read that amount of text. I wouldn't feel the need to make it *harder* than that for a 6th grader. While some 6th graders could read Shakespeare straight, it's definitely something more common in high school. These books could be more of a middle of the road.

http://www.classicalcomics.com/?mode=us  So I'm looking at these books you found and they look quite well done. They're graphic novels, HIGHLY visual, and even have optional workbook pages for comprehension. I wouldn't hestitate to use them with anyone who finds that format helps their comprehension, sure. 

When it doubt, start small, lol. Show the dc samples, see what they think. I'm really in the Shakespeare as joy camp. I'd just use whatever connects. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting examples. I really like how they 'translate' the passages into modern English. I think these might be perfect for my DD10. I'm with you on the enjoyment aspect of reading Shakespeare. She does really want to read some Shakespeare as he wrote so I think these might be a perfect bridge. I will see what she thinks of these options.

• Like 1

I have the Nesbit version, and I wanted to like it! I can't exactly put my finger on why it didn't work for us. The retellings are maybe just a little too straightforward and flattened. My kids were little, 4 and 6, last year, so maybe they were just too young for it. (I think Nesbit's version is easier for young children to understand than Lamb's though.)

They loved the Bruce Coville picture books and the Illustrated Usborne Stories from Shakespeare. For audio retellings, I like the Naxos Junior Classics one, I think it is also called Stories from Shakespeare. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gck21 said:

the Nesbit version, and I wanted to like it!

Yup, and shhh but I'm not a Nesbit fan for ANYTHING! :biggrin: It's funny because SWB/WTM speaks highly of N, people around here like N, and it was just nope. Not in audio, not read alouds, nothing. And none of my kids have been into anything Nesbit either. 

So I'm with you, blaze your trail of good taste! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I have both Nesbit and Lamb’s. Nesbit is much more simplified- appropriate for early elementary, but ultimately too simplistic - she tries to pick it one story line from each play and ignore the subplots, etc.

Lamb’s is more detailed. Personally, our family prefers the Leon Garfield books. His phrasing captures or closely parallels Shakespeare’s language. We read Hamlet recently (Garfield retelling), then watched the Royal Shakespeare production.  my daughter pointed out how closely Garfield’s version meshed with the stage production.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHLWTM said:

Personally, our family prefers the Leon Garfield books. His phrasing captures or closely parallels Shakespeare’s language. We read Hamlet recently (Garfield retelling), then watched the Royal Shakespeare production.  my daughter pointed out how closely Garfield’s version meshed with the stage production.

Yes!  Our experience exactly.  Those 2 volumes are amg my favorite homeschool purchases.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

I have both Nesbit and Lamb’s. Nesbit is much more simplified- appropriate for early elementary, but ultimately too simplistic - she tries to pick it one story line from each play and ignore the subplots, etc.

Lamb’s is more detailed. Personally, our family prefers the Leon Garfield books. His phrasing captures or closely parallels Shakespeare’s language. We read Hamlet recently (Garfield retelling), then watched the Royal Shakespeare production.  my daughter pointed out how closely Garfield’s version meshed with the stage production.

Thanks. I'm happy to hear reviews on different versions. I selected Lamb and Nesbit because those seem to be the two most widely recommended on booklists. I would prefer versions that lead into reading Shakespeare in its original wording. I'm kind of swayed by illustrations too. I think when our library reopens I'm going to order in a bunch of versions and see what I like the best. 

While checking out the recommended Garfield book (that looks very good), I found this wonderful sticker book to complement any Shakespeare version you choose.  I wish we had done more Shakespeare!

https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Timeline-Stickerbook-performed-Theatre/dp/0995576688/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2QGCGIOWYW27H&dchild=1&keywords=shakespeare+at+the+globe&qid=1592508353&s=books&sprefix=shakespeare+at+the+g%2Cstripbooks%2C211&sr=1-3

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

Here a sample from Nesbit - it will give you a sense of the wording. It really is targeted to younger readers. 
I’m personally not opposed to having a bit of redundancy in our Shakespeare. Hence I have Nesbit, Lamb, and Garfield, and now I’m at risk of buying the comic book ones mentioned above as well 🙂  I want my children to be familiar enough with the stories by the time they read the original text that the original doesn’t seem so daunting. 

C97B59F3-ED26-49D7-AF92-9C370E7A66CD.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, lwest said:

We have several of these versions- note that you can choose if you want original text, modern text, or easy-read versions.  We chose the original text, and with the images, my oldest two kids had no issues with Midsummer Night's Dream.  We read the graphic novel, watched the animated Shakespeare movie, and memorized a small scene and several quotes.  Huge success.  I also really got a lot of teacher's ed from the How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare book by Ludwig.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erin Baklinski said:

What versions would you recommend for watching after reading the plays? I am looking for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" right now.

I found this one, but confess we have not yet watched it. It's by the Royal Shakespeare Company from 1968. I thought perhaps since it's so old, it might be less suggestive than more modern versions. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063297/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

We watched Shakespeare The Animated Tales version, which is abridged.  My kids weren't totally thrilled with it, but it was ok.  Then we watched a Kevin Kline semi-modern adaptation, which was silly and ok, but has a bit of nudity and suggestion.  It's hard to figure out where to draw the line exactly, as Shakespeare WAS bawdy.  I also let my older kid (12 at the time) watch Shakespeare in Love, which also has nudity.