Menu

Favorite physics labs?

On 5/25/2020 at 6:16 PM, Farrar said:

The one with tubes where we measured wavelengths.

Can you tell I’m not a physics person? We used the QSL kit. That was the favorite, hands down.

I was just listening in, but I have to say, this was one of my favorite labs in high school physics, lol! I also really liked doing some kind of diagrams with various mirrors and lenses with a candle. 

• Like 1

My class really liked the resonance lab (the tube thing) and exploring colored lights.  Putting red, blue and green cellophane over flashlights and explore how they act when you cross the beams, then put various objects in the crossed beams and look at the shadows.  It's really cool.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, klmama said:

Did you all use the QSL physics kit?  It's pricey!  Worth it?  

I've used parts of it, but just found other things on the internet.   I also used Hewett Conceptual Physics lab manual.    

The color/light lab I used small flashlights I already had, some colored cellophane (that may have come from QSL but I"m not sure, I had some from other things too), pieces of white foamboard as a backdrop, a pen and a golf ball as our objects to throw shadows.  

Another fun one that I don't think was from the QSL kit, was to take a large pieces of paper, put an x in the center middle, and along the top edge holding it longwise, put a zero in the middle, then put a line and number each inch going in both directions to the edge.    Take a ruler or stick and put a red circle on one, a yellow circle on another one, and a blue circle on another one.   Have one person hold the paper in front of their face while they look at the x and starting at one edge, slowly bring the ruler toward the middle.  The person holding the paper should tell you when they can notice movement (out of the corner of their eye, not turning head or eyes) and when they can notice color.   Do it from both the right and the left with different colors.   

We also did the "egg" drop challenge (but used Christmas balls to avoid allergens), pendulums, mystery box challenge, calorimetry of foods (did involve fire).

I taught physics to middle and high school kids and these were among their favorite labs. 🙂 

20200309_121057b.jpg

• Like 1