Menu

What to do for gas spill in yard???

Joker

We have someone here today that is burying a cable. It is something that was required by a cable company so we have no control over any of it. They broke their machine and it spilled gas in our yard. I'm pretty sure it's actually still leaking in the yard right now. They have left while someone else is on their way to fix it. 

What do we need to make sure happens? How should it be handled and cleaned? 

is the spill near a storm drain/ditch/creek or other water? If so, they need to report the spill to the local environmental authority (e.g. state EPA) within 24 hours.  Any amount that produces a sheen is reportable.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I don't think kitty litter is going to work for a spill in a yard. Hasn't the soil already absorbed it? I think you'd need to remove the contaminated soil. If it's on a driveway or other non porous surface then -- yeah. It really needs to be reported.

• Like 1

It's just in the middle of our front yard. I'm not trying the kitty litter because it was already really wet here and it is supposed to rain again later. That would just be a mess. I'm hoping the rain will help some. Dh said in the military they just watered the heck out of where ever it happened. We can smell it if we go to the middle and you can kind of tell where it was (grass is darker a bit) but there isn't any puddle or anything really. It's not running off into the street or any water way either, so I'm thinking it's ok as far as that all goes. I'm guessing it will just completely kill the grass but I think it's far enough from our plants that hopefully all of that will be ok. 

Edited by Joker

1 hour ago, Joker said:

It's just in the middle of our front yard. I'm not trying the kitty litter because it was already really wet here and it is supposed to rain again later. 

if the rain carries it to a storm drain, they are required to report if if a sheen is present. I don't have a good idea of your yard, and since this is gasoline, I am guessing it is not pooling on your yard. If it is, they need to put down absorbent socksl to keep it from going to the storm drains/ditches.  This would be their responsibility, not yours.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1