Menu

Let’s talk bidets, please (and some girl talk)

Spryte

If you bought a bidet attachment recently, or have used one long term, which one did you buy?  Pros and cons?

I want a new one.  

We have had one for years.  From Costco.  It works, no leaks, but I simply can’t use it.  The spray, even on the lightest setting, is like a power washer.  Ouch!  And the angle is weird.  I have to be careful with it.

Which brings me to another question (female content, possibly TMI):  If you regularly use one, do you turn around and straddle the toilet?  Whether because ours is too powerful, angle is off, I use it wrong, or maybe it was just a coincidence - I had a series of UTIs last year (after never having one in my life), and wondered if it might be related to the bidet use.  It is a self cleaning model, and I am sure it was clean, just rather wondered if spray, from behind, ended up where it should not.  Now I don’t use it anymore.  Clearly I was doing something wrong.  Or it was a strange coincidence.  Either way, I’m not taking chances.  

We have this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128T2HQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has multiple settings, angles, spray forces, temperatures, etc.  We really like it, except for the seat.  It is not flat, so you cannot sit on it.  Anything you place on it is likely to slide off.  And the seat broke after we had it for 18 months.  A piece of plastic in the hinge snapped, and it clicks loudly every time it closes.  When I called customer service, they said that it is no longer under warranty, and it is a design flaw they already know about.  $60 to replace it, so we are going without a toilet cover in that bathroom.

• Like 1

@Spryte  Thanks for asking. I don't understand how a back to front spray is supposed to work either. When I read online, I found conflicting information about UTIs.

I am also wondering how the spray head on the toilet seat bidet stays out of the way and clean--we have yuck all around the rim of the toilet when we lift the seat to clean (I am the only female in the house). Is that what you mean by self-cleaning?

• Like 1

I don't straddle the toliet. But yes I have often thought it can cause a UTI. Our comes out very powerfully too even on low. So I angle myself into the spray. (hope that makes sense.) So I am slightly tilted with my backside lower in the water. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kbutton said:

@Spryte  Thanks for asking. I don't understand how a back to front spray is supposed to work either. When I read online, I found conflicting information about UTIs.

I am also wondering how the spray head on the toilet seat bidet stays out of the way and clean--we have yuck all around the rim of the toilet when we lift the seat to clean (I am the only female in the house). Is that what you mean by self-cleaning?

Yes, I’m reading conflicting info as well. For now, I’m scared off of the bidet.  UTIs are not good. I’m hoping to find a better option, something that’s more front to back.  I know I can turn around and straddle, like some sites say to do, but I have visions of water, water everywhere, you know? I think our particular bidet is just at an inconvenient angle. 

On keeping it clean: Ours has a cover that keeps things from splashing on it, that moves out of the way when in use.  And a cleaning cycle where it runs water through it, with the cover over. I clean the nozzle periodically, too.

I’m curious about the bidets that use a handheld sprayer.  Has anyone tried those?  What I’d really like is a bidet attachment with both options, but haven’t found that yet.

17 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m curious about the bidets that use a handheld sprayer.  

I think people use diaper sprayer hoses for those, but I don't know someone with one yet. I am curious about leak rates (not due to operator error) for all options. Water damage is $$$. 

And yes, UTIs are serious business. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think people use diaper sprayer hoses for those, but I don't know someone with one yet. I am curious about leak rates (not due to operator error) for all options. Water damage is $$$. 

And yes, UTIs are serious business. 

Yes, water damage scares me.  I’m seeing some crazy stories when reading reviews.  Aaack!

Have you considered a so-called "portable bidet", aka a water bottle with a fancy nozzle?

Downside: You have to fill it yourself before use, and you're using your hands to touch it. (The nozzle doesn't touch your body if you're doing it right.)

Upside: You can clean it in your usual way and know it gets clean. You have direct control over the power of the spray, because you're squeezing it. You can pre-fill it to the temperature you prefer. Definitely no leakage issues. You can bring it out into the wide world with you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1