Menu

where to stay in St. Louis?

TravelingChris

I am starting to plan our 35th anniversary trip and the first night, we will be spending in the St Louis Area.  The following morning, a Sunday in late August, we will visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens before heading off to either Northern IA or southern MN.  Anyway, I know we don't want to be in downtown SL near the river (we have visited the Arch and the Westward Expansion museum on an earlier visit).  What I have no idea is where are the safe areas of St Louis versus the unsafe areas.  Which areas would you recommend for us to find a hotel?

Maybe try the Drury Inn at Hampton and I-44 (I think it’s the Drury at Forest Park).  It’s not too far from the Botanical Garden, and you’ll have all the restaurants of The Hill in between.  It’s a generally safe area of the city, with a lot of tourist attractions nearby.

• Like 2

If you wanted to go out a little bit, you could try the Hilton Frontenac, which is at Hwy. 40 and Lindbergh.  It would put you about 20-30 minutes from the Botanical Gardens, depending on traffic.  You could find something close to Kirkwood, which would be about the same distance.  Which way would you be coming into St. Louis from?

You would be traveling Hwy. 64 in IL.  If the only thing you are interested in St. Louis is the Botanical Gardens you might consider finding a hotel in O'Fallon IL, which would be about 30 minutes from the Botanical Gardens.  It is a nice, safe area and probably more reasonably priced than near downtown St. Louis.

11 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

We live in Alabama and are going first that day to the National Quilting Museum in Paducah, KY and from there I think we travel in IL and come from the east.  

Enjoy your stop in Paducah!  😉

We stayed at the Marriott hotel at the airport.  It was a very nice hotel, with a nice outdoor pool area.  We left out our car at the hotel and took the hotel shuttle to the airport, then the light rail (I forget what it's called there) to the tourist spots.  That was quite a few years ago though so things could have changed.

• Like 1