Menu

What math for this kid?

ByGrace3

Please don't quote, I will likely delete. One of our current bonus kids is 10, 4th grade (repeated 4th grade this year). Came home from public school in March (with the rest of the world) and within 3 days I pulled her from her charter school because there was no way I was going to have her sit with a packet of worksheets while we did hands on learning at the table across the room.  She is a strong reader but struggles with comprehension, and specifically has A LOT of gaps in math. I had her working in Dreambox up until last week. This week I have her working through Math Mammoth end of year 3rd grade test.  So many gaps. She is really struggling. What would you suggest to remediate this, fill in the gaps, and get her on the right track? 

Are you planning to keep her home?  If so, I would put her in CLE.  It builds so slowly with tons of review.  I wish I started my DD in it years ago.  But if you are planning to put her back in school, I would find out what the goals are for next year and continue using MM.  I would get the single topic downloads where she is weak and just keep plugging away.  

Edited by kristin0713
  • Like 1

How are you teaching her now?  Is she using MM independently?  If so, I recommend teaching her yourself and having her do all problems with you sitting right there.  I'd use the book for your reference only and have her work on a small whiteboard (or have her dictate to you what to write).

• Like 1

Maybe start with some mathantics.com videos (free). My 4th grader loves them, and we re-watch whenever he has problems with is regular math work (sometimes he even watches for fun). It's just a different way to do things. It won't solve your problems, but maybe fill in the transition between now and when you do find something else that works.

Edited by alisha

I had one I pulled after 3rd grade with lots of holes and we did Saxon 3 over the summer, using many hands-on activities.  I would skip over the things she knew and reinforced the things she was missing.  I did have MM, but it was really difficult to assign so many of the questions she struggled with. 

We really do need to know if you plan to keep her home forever, or send her back to school in the fall. 🙂

If she were mine, and I intended to keep her home (because after all, the school has had her for three or four years and has not been able to teach her basic arithmetic, so why send her back?), I would probably back up a second grade arithmetic and work through that, and then third. My go-to would be Rod and Staff's math series. And I'd continue with R&S until she tested into Saxon, Math 54 or above. R&S does such an excellent job with basic arithmetic; it does an excellent job until algebra, too.

Did you also want some help with reading? You say she's a "strong reader but struggles with comprehension."