Menu

Summer Computer Science course rec

DS will be a a senior  next year and has strong engineering background.. BUT he's somewhat averse to coding and thus been very opposed to taking computer science courses because he things they'll just be coding. We have explained endlessly that all engineering (and all fields) will require computer science knowledge in the future. Was hoping to find a somewhat self paced or some accountability course with weekly check ins that would be useful foundation for an engineering major as well as expose to data science or other aspects of computer science. 

• Like 1

The prep course for the CompTia Fundamentals exam is free for 30 days: https://www.comptia.org/

A pricey, but more big picture option is the eimacs University Computer Science course. It is a longer course and requires passing a aptitude test, but doesn't specifically teach coding. More the logic of programming: https://www.eimacs.com/student_ucs_overview.htm?navname=STUDENTS&toopen=ul25,ul5&scrolly=161.60000610351562&subnavid=a13

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

Coursera has a ton of MOOC courses.  https://www.coursera.org/   When I get their (frequent) emails they seem to always have at the top 1 or 2 courses from the University of Michigan. I believe they send those emails the day the course is going to begin. One of them is about an Introduction to Programming or C.S. or Python and is hugely popular. I think they may begin that course approximately every 30 days based on the emails I receive from Coursera.

With regard to Coding. I was a Contractor and moved between clients and was almost always changing languages so I wasn't fast at Coding. There are other things I did that I was much better at (Requirements Analysis, Systems Engineering, etc.) and that were far more interesting to me than Coding. 

However, if he wants to be in C.S. him being able to do some basic coding is going to be the Introductory course for C.S.. My DD is "Undeclared" with regard to her Major at this point, but she took 2 C.S. courses this semester. One is the basic course that is about coding that your DS doesn't want to do. The other one was an Honors course, about Robotics, with PhD Instructor and 24 students in the class which was very cool.  

The bottom line is that if he is interested in C.S. he is going to need to know how to code in Python or some other language that is commonly used in industry today because that course will be a prerequisite for more advanced courses.

Good luck to him!

• 1 year later...