Menu

Freezable rice bowls ingredient ideas wanted....wanna help?

Tap

I am trying to help dd13 with healthier eating, but also trying to work within some dietary restrictions she has. I am thinking about putting some heat-and-eat rice bowls in the freezer for her. She has gi issues, so she needs simple grains (easy to digest) and no seeds or nuts. What I need, is for times when I am not here, that she has something that she can eat, which she knows is safe for her.   My plan is to vacuum seal them into bags, so she can just microwave them.

I am using rice as a base because she likes it and it pairs well with other foods she likes. I know white rice isn't super healthy, it is more about a filler and delivery system that her body tolerates well. I already have jasmine rice, so that is what I will use for this purpose. 

She is dairy free and doesn't care for Mexican flavors. She will eat most veggies, except ones that get super soft when cooked (ie zucchini) I would love ideas or recipes! 

I am thinking things like teriyaki chicken and broccoli. I don't know if cabbage would freeze ok or not? If it freezes good, I would use that instead.

Pizza theme, with low-fat sausage, pizza sauce, sprinkle of non-dairy cheese, olives etc.

Coney island dog (Coney island sauce, veggie hot dog) on rice. I need to think of a veggie to add to this one. She doesn't like bell peppers, but maybe some slices of sweet peppers could be hidden in the sauce.

Beans are tricky for her tummy. I think I can use canned and well rinsed.....Maybe a chili theme just light on the beans. 

Steak and corn are a favorite food combo, but would need a sauce to keep the moisture up.

Any other theme ideas?

BTW: I know these are not very healthy toppings. But I am looking for a step up from chicken nuggets, tater tots and carby snacks like chips and cheez-its. 

Edited by Tap

Those sound yummy. I love how easy rice freezes and re-heats...plus after you cool and reheat it, better GI index. 

I think teriyaki and broccoli would work...even the sauce. I know people who vacuum pack chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce to then dethaw cook later.

What about Greek/Mediterranean chicken? You can marinade in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano or just use bottled Greek/Italian dressing. Maybe add chopped up cucumber/tomato once it comes out of the microwave.

For steak and corn, what about doing a mashed potato bowl? (Not sure if that would freeze.) BBQ sauce as the sauce?

Honestly, if you have 2-3 that she likes--that's a great start.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tap said:

Beans are tricky for her tummy. I think I can use canned and well rinsed.....Maybe a chili theme just light on the beans. 

Use a vegetable she does like/can tolerate in place of the beans cut roughly the same size as a bean. My dh prefers chili without beans so that is another option for her.

I know she doesn't care for Mexican but what about taco rice? You could season the meat any way she prefers and put non dairy cheese and after it is heated she could add lettuce, tomato, sour cream/low fat plain yogurt or whatever she likes. I actually prefer shredded fresh spinach on tacos instead of lettuce.

Another way to reheat rice in the microwave so that the rice and anything in it is moist is to add a tablespoon or so of water before you heat it.  Dh thought reheated leftover rice was disgusting until I showed him how I reheat rice. Keeps it nice and moist and it doesn't get gummy.

I was also going to suggest fried rice as someone else suggested. What about risotto style rice? It would be great with whatever her favorite veggie is and maybe some grilled or sauteed chicken. You can make a simple risotto on the stove or in the oven and it does freeze fine. I know risotto usually calls for Arborio  rice but you can use plain long grain or Jasmine rice. I've used both long grain and Jasmine rice to make risotto and it comes out fine.

• Like 2

How about chicken fried rice?  It's great with lots of veggies - shredded cabbage, carrots, celery, and onion - and you can adjust the size of the chicken pieces to her preference.  I like to add scrambled egg and crumbled bacon to mine, but one of my dc doesn't like it that way.

Regarding steak and corn needing a sauce, have you tried reheating on a lower heat setting?  I've found that meat thaws and warms up nicely without drying out if I reheat on 70% or less power.  

• Like 1

Does she like flavored rice? If so, you can make the base a tomato flavored rice or a coconut milk flavored rice or a mild turmeric and herb based rice for a variation. I think that you can roast the veggies of her choice (carrots, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, brussels sprout) and add on top of the rice bowl with a sauce. I normally make a lentil based sauce or a tomato based sauce with vegetables (spinach, mushrooms, carrots etc) and tofu or paneer cheese for rice bowls. Since she has issues with beans, I am not sure if she can stomach lentils. You could try to mash up some veggies into the sauce topping so that you can add more into her meal.

• Like 1