Menu

One Year World History for 8th

featherhead

My oldest will be in 8th next year.  She did homeschool from Pre-K -2nd, and 4th-halfway through 5th.  We are seriously considering homeschooling her next year because of character issues that need to be addressed.  It would likely be for only one year, and so I would like to stick fairly close to what she would be learning in public school.  8th grade here is World History.  Budget is definitely something we will have to figure out, but it won't be a lot.  So any suggestions for a one year World History course would be appreciated 🙂 

1 hour ago, Plum said:

That was my plan for this year. I looked all over and started a thread just like this one. Middle school world history, well middle school curriculum in general seems to be lacking. 

There's Human Odyssey and History Odyssey. There's the brand new World History Project, a spinoff of Big History Project. If only that had released a couple of months earlier for me. 

You could work through all of the Story of the World books, written comprehension responses and tests to make it feel a little more middle schoolish. 

It looks like History Odyssey is a 4 year history cycle.  Do I have that right?  With the Story of the World books, how important are all the extra materials?  Can you do it with just the text?

11 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

My 8th grader is doing From Adam to Us by Notgrass.  It is a pretty thorough world history course with geography.  It is a Christian program, in case that makes a difference.  

I'm good with a Christian program.  Did you get the full program including the novels?

13 minutes ago, featherhead said:

I'm good with a Christian program.  Did you get the full program including the novels?

I did not get the literature pack.  We tend to do a lot of historical fiction as read alouds and have already done a few of those.  I also wanted to go in a different direction for her language arts this year.  (I did have her read Aesop's Fables but not along with the course.)  She does the lesson readings, lesson review, map book, timeline, and tests.   At one point this year, she was getting bogged down with a lot of reading, so I bought the audio download. 

• Like 1

MyWorld history be Pearson if you are looking for a textbook and workbook style.  I am currently finishing this up with my kids and while it does speed through- one year isnt long enough to fully cover everything.   We have added movies, documentaries and a few books- and maps bc I like them.  You wouldn't need to do anything extra, though!  It's a great, easy to follow text.