Menu

Can anyone translate this old Latin document for me?

Kathryn

This was in the nobility rolls for my family and relates to why my 3x great-grandfather was stripped of his title in the 1830s (in present-day Ukraine, then Austria-Hungary). I can see that it had something to do with violence and Jews, but was he committing violence or inciting them to violence or what? Can anyone tell me what happened? I know just enough Latin to be thoroughly confused!

97FF2F26-12C7-4BAB-BD8B-6C21D9D5AFBE.jpeg

Edited by Kathryn

• 1 month later...
Guest jonhgaarg

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure it's Latin? If so, it’s possible to try to make larger photos of good quality, maybe Google translator will recognize the text in the picture. Or try looking for a service in this review  https://pickwriters.com/professional-document-translation-services, maybe there is one which will have qualified translators of documents in Latin. I do not see other options, since machine translation apparently will not work here. Good luck!

It certainly looks like Latin or perhaps Italian

Seems like start: “Per Cesario” that someone was born by cesarean section, and the next part may indicate where and when perhaps...

my Latin is not great, but also as beautiful as it is the script seems hard to read

I got some words that seem to start “Jud” and could relate to something like “judicial” fitting with idea that it might be legal—perhaps related to some violent crime as Jean suggested—but also could indicate “Jewish” particularly when taken along with what seem to be some first names on it like possibly “Chaya” and maybe a “Moses”?

Though the top indicates Ukraine, some of what look like possibly surnames end “ski” which I associate with Poland. 

This thread popped up again....I can read the first part with my old and tired eyes....

"In the Kingdom of Galacia and Lodomeria"....so this totally fits within the Hapsburg empire in what was once Ukraine.  This looks like an appellate court decision, in which they concurred with the original decision.

Can you do a typed out version and I can work on this a bit here and there? Zooming in and out to do the translation from the old handwriting to text is taking a long time. 

• Like 1

I think it popped up due to a visitor posting about a paid translation site???   I dare not click on the link.   Maybe it’s clickbait to something worse.  

not realizing it was an old thread, I found it interesting. 

• 2 years later...