Menu

Horizons Pre-Algebra?

kristin0713

I can't find a lot of reviews on this.  If you have used it, can you give me feedback?

I'm considering this for my DS for 7th grade next year.  Reasons it is appealing (from what I understand without actually looking at it!):  workbook format, spiral but not an insane amount of review like CLE or Saxon, daily work is two pages, seems to be thorough??  

My DS needs a workbook format.  He has thrived with Singapore through this year, finished level 6 last month.  I'm using Math Mammoth to fill in some things that he needs to work on (namely operations with fractions).  He is extremely math minded and his mental math is excellent but I think something like AoPS would drive him crazy where he has to take time to figure things out.  He doesn't care that much--he just wants to get the work done.  Math Mammoth would be fine for him but there are SO.MANY.PROBLEMS and I don't want to have to go through every lesson crossing stuff out.  Also, he would benefit from a consistent review.  My daughter uses CLE but that amount of problems and review would be overkill for my DS.  

Another thing--I want him to have one more year of general arithmetic practice and Pre-Algebra before Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  

• Like 1

You probably saw this, right?

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/math/grades-7-8/horizons-prealgebra-and-algebra-1#

I'm looking at it, too, because I'm not sure where we are going after Dimensions Math.  

Did you see these reviews?

https://www.christianbook.com/horizons-pre-algebra-complete/9780740322426/pd/403224

It looks like the complaints are that the teacher's guide doesn't explain things well....also it covers things towards the end of the workbook that are covered in stuff like Algebra 2 and trig (I would probably skip that stuff, but your kid might be more up to the challenge than mine).   

When I'm looking at the samples, it reminds me of Saxon, which I'm also considering for prealgebra. 

1 hour ago, Evanthe said:

You probably saw this, right?

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/math/grades-7-8/horizons-prealgebra-and-algebra-1#

I'm looking at it, too, because I'm not sure where we are going after Dimensions Math.  

Did you see these reviews?

https://www.christianbook.com/horizons-pre-algebra-complete/9780740322426/pd/403224

It looks like the complaints are that the teacher's guide doesn't explain things well....also it covers things towards the end of the workbook that are covered in stuff like Algebra 2 and trig (I would probably skip that stuff, but your kid might be more up to the challenge than mine).   

When I'm looking at the samples, it reminds me of Saxon, which I'm also considering for prealgebra. 

I did see those, thanks 😊  I’m hoping for some feedback here so I can ask more questions.  I’m not concerned about the teacher’s manual because I’ve just taken my DD through pre-algebra using CLE over the past two years.  Also, my DS can handle challenging as long as it doesn’t take too long 🙄😆   I do wish I could see it, but it looks like all the conventions will be cancelled this year. 

Edited by kristin0713

We used it after using Horizons for most grades for my oldest and the preAlgebra clearly had a different author. It was all over the place. It often put problems in the worksheets it had not even introduced yet. We tossed it less than half way through.

8 minutes ago, Evanthe said:

If he likes CLE, I don't see why he wouldn't like Horizons.  It looks similar.  

No—my daughter is in CLE. He would hate CLE. Way too many problems and too much review. I want some review but not an extreme amount. 

3 minutes ago, Janeway said:

We used it after using Horizons for most grades for my oldest and the preAlgebra clearly had a different author. It was all over the place. It often put problems in the worksheets it had not even introduced yet. We tossed it less than half way through.

Interesting. I wish I could see it in person. 

3 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

No—my daughter is in CLE. He would hate CLE. Way too many problems and too much review. I want some review but not an extreme amount. 

Interesting. I wish I could see it in person. 

Aren't there samples on Alpha Omega's website? Also, doesn't Math Mammoth have pre-algebra now? I will say it was the way that Horizon's would have a topic in the worksheet before introducing it that was an issue and that probably would be difficult to see just from a sample.

5 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Also, doesn't Math Mammoth have pre-algebra now?

MM 7 is pre-algebra.  But my thing with MM is that it takes so long that I would have to cut stuff out and I would also want to build in a review somehow.  I know they have the spiral review book now.  So probably I would have to go through and decide what to cut and when to add the review.  

There is a copy of the pre-algebra for sale on HomeschoolClassifieds.com for reasonable.  Not an ideal way to get to see it but at least a cheaper way.

Have you looked at Critical Thinking Press?  Their books are colorful with some review.

16 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I have an extra copy I can send to you. I bought 3 but it just didn't work for us.

Thank you so much for offering this.  I'm going to try to get more of a feel for it during the GHC "virtual" convention by talking to an AOP rep.  I will let you know if I decide to take you up on that.  Mailing things might be kind of a pain right now.  🙂  But thank you! 

• Like 1

I have used Horizons for K-6 since 1994 (my 4th grader is 1/2 way through the 6th grade books as of today, so I'm about finished with the series in my home).  I use MUS's alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo in 7th grade.  They complete both programs in a single yr (there are very few problems and lots of white space).  I then have them complete Foerster's alg for alg, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seemesew said:

Could you do saxon but only every other problem so there is not so many? 

Saxon is a textbook.  Horizons is a workbook which my DS definitely needs.  I can barely get him to write out his work; there is no way that he will copy problems from a textbook.  😄

• Like 1