Menu

Amount of Amazon packages are bigger than Black Friday

stephanier.1765

DH is a mail carrier at a hub post office. They have both rural and city carriers (DH is this). Normally, Sunday packages are delivered by rotating the rural carriers. Due to the drastic increase in Amazon packages, this morning they called in all the rural AND city carriers.  And they are only delivering Amazon packages. Anything else that might have been delivered today has been pushed back until tomorrow. DH hasn't been getting home until after 7 each night because of this increase. According to him, the amount of packages he is delivering is much higher than post Black Friday and the Christmas season. He says the other mail has gone down though. I wonder why that is?

Stores are closed and people are avoiding the stores that are open. So if someone needs a computer mouse and has Amazon Prime, it might make more sense to order from Amazon then to go into Target or Walmart or pickup curbside from Best Buy. We had that scenario since shelter in place started. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/tech/amazon-shipping-coronavirus/index.html

7 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

DH is a mail carrier at a hub post office. They have both rural and city carriers (DH is this). Normally, Sunday packages are delivered by rotating the rural carriers. Due to the drastic increase in Amazon packages, this morning they called in all the rural AND city carriers.  And they are only delivering Amazon packages. Anything else that might have been delivered today has been pushed back until tomorrow. DH hasn't been getting home until after 7 each night because of this increase. According to him, the amount of packages he is delivering is much higher than post Black Friday and the Christmas season. He says the other mail has gone down though. I wonder why that is?

I have noticed that we are receiving less junk mail.  Events have been canceled or postponed and restaurants are closed, so no need to send advertisements.  Grocery circulars are pointless, they aren't being printed.   People who might have purchased gifts locally and wrapped and mailed them are using Amazon to avoid going to stores and standing in line at the post office.  They are also saving their stamps to avoid having to buy more.  

15 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

I have noticed that we are receiving less junk mail.  Events have been canceled or postponed and restaurants are closed, so no need to send advertisements.  Grocery circulars are pointless, they aren't being printed.   People who might have purchased gifts locally and wrapped and mailed them are using Amazon to avoid going to stores and standing in line at the post office.  They are also saving their stamps to avoid having to buy more.  

We are still receiving the normal circulars, even for places like Bed, Bath and Beyond, which was one of the first places to shut down. I guess it's still away to advertise for online shopping. I have wondered if more people have gone to paperless bills though. My parents, for example, pay their bills with checks and then drive to the post office to mail them. Maybe other folks like them have finally taken the plunge into online banking. Whatever the logistics or reasons and with the uptick in packages, the workplace has become surreal for him like it has for many, many others. 

As a side note: the PO is not paying overtime to anybody who went into deliver packages on a Sunday, like they do at Christmas time.

::reads subject line::

::looks at front hallway::

can confirm.

My husband said it looks like we could start our own Amazon warehouse. But I also ordered the kids school books for next year and I ended up with doubles of some things that Amazon said weren't coming via subscription and then they ended up shipping after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope he gets paid hourly.   Thank him for all his service in this unusual time.   He is doing an important job keep lots of people safe. 

I will and thank you on his behalf. I don't honestly understand exactly how he gets paid. From what I've gleaned, he does get paid hourly but he gets paid for 40 whether he works 35 or 45, except for 2 weeks at Christmas where he does get time and a half for hours over 40.