Menu

Dalgona Coffee (good for shelter in place boredom :) )

Arcadia

5 minutes ago, Starr said:

And how does it taste? 

One teen finds it too strong but sweet enough. The other teen just drank it up. We use instant coffee: sugar: hot water at a ratio of 1:1:1 for the “foam”

ETA:

3 ice cubes and whatever amount of milk they prefer for the milk portion

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Ha!  I literally did this today!

I started with the milk frother I had and it did thicken but it didn’t have that cool whip look to it. So I dumped it in my bullet mixer hoping that would work faster. Hmm. Better but dang still more like gravy than cop whip looking. So I looked at the recipe again wondering if 20 minutes into this I missed a detail. And past all the pics and blah blah blah. There’s a little off closing comment of “it might take 8-30 minutes to get peaks”.  What the hell? Ain’t no one got time for that and quarantine isn’t making me one bit more patient.  So I dumped the bullet contents in my ninja with a bunch of ice and tada! It was a fabulous frappacino!!  Made an entire pitcher of it. 

8FAB39CE-6086-4397-81B3-D67382F6BC5C.jpeg

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Why in the world would I revert to instant coffee?

Yes, my kids have talked about this. I will not enable them.  😂

bc it’s really cheap and you don’t have to waste premium freshingly brewed coffee or wait for said fresh hot coffee to cool off enough to use to make a cold drink. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Could I use an electric hand mixer? (I don't have a whisk attachment, though...)

Yes. Or even a blender. It’s really up to you. 

ETA:

I used a bowl that I normally use for whisking eggs for baking sponge cake.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I make it all the time but I add hot milk to mine. I learned it from an Indian co-worker more than 15 years ago and have always made it when I was the only person drinking coffee and brewing fresh coffee was too much work. I use my cuisinart hand held mixer and sometimes add sweetened condensed milk to the recipe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Could I use an electric hand mixer? (I don't have a whisk attachment, though...)

no!! Well maybe.  It starts out with a very watery consistency so if you do - it better be a really deep bowl or glass bc it will splash everywhere for about 2 feet in all directions otherwise.

I started with the milk frother in a deep bowl. It was not deep enough. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I make it all the time but I add hot milk to mine. I learned it from an Indian co-worker more than 15 years ago and have always made it when I was the only person drinking coffee and brewing fresh coffee was too much work. 

Indian beaten coffee 

https://www.honeywhatscooking.com/milky-frothy-indian-style-cappuccino/

So the recipe I followed just gave a ratio of coffee/sugar/water.  I just grabbed a measuring cup (3/4 c., *snort*), which made an OBSCENE amount of foam, lol. I liked it, oldest DD said it was a little too strong. Youngest DD rinsed her mouth out after taking a sip. 

I stuck the remaining foam in the fridge so we'll have it again tomorrow. Or would freezer be better?

(Also, we started with a whisk but hit a wall, then switched to hand mixer. That moved things along well!)