Menu

Sterilizing face masks

stephanier.1765

I saw a video this morning of a microbiologist using an Instant Pot to sterilize masks. What do y'all think? Is this extra step necessary over washing and drying or washing, drying, and ironing? He did iron the mask when done but then hung it up to dry.

ETA: This was on Facebook and I couldn't figure out a way to share it. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by stephanier.1765

I think simply washing in soapy water is adequate. My understanding is that soap breaks down the lipid layer of the virus, effectively killing it. It's why we're all advised to wash our hands. If it works for our hands I see no reason to think it wouldn't be just as effective for fabric.

• Like 2

Are you asking because you're working in a hospital environment, or because you or a family member is in a higher risk group?

If you're in a normal risk group and only leaving the house occasionally, I don't think special measures are needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I think simply washing in soapy water is adequate. My understanding is that soap breaks down the lipid layer of the virus, effectively killing it. It's why we're all advised to wash our hands. If it works for our hands I see no reason to think it wouldn't be just as effective for fabric.

33 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Are you asking because you're working in a hospital environment, or because you or a family member is in a higher risk group?

If you're in a normal risk group and only leaving the house occasionally, I don't think special measures are needed.

Those were my thoughts too but when see who is supposed to know their stuff go that extra mile it makes you wonder. DH is in a high risk group as well as being a mail carrier. Being outside a good part of the day probably helps a lot so it's really the time in the office I worry about. Even so, I think regular washing and drying probably do a good job.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Those were my thoughts too but when see who is supposed to know their stuff go that extra mile it makes you wonder. DH is in a high risk group as well as being a mail carrier. Being outside a good part of the day probably helps a lot so it's really the time in the office I worry about. Even so, I think regular washing and drying probably do a good job.

DH and I are both high risk (he has cancer, I'm on an immune-suppressant medication). I feel perfectly comfortable with just washing, either by hand or in the machine. I doubt I'll put our masks in the dryer. I've ordered ours, so I'll have to wait to look at them to decide for sure, but I suspect drying will reduce their usable life due to degradation of the elastic. If I'd ordered the kind with ties, or if I were handy enough to make new ones whenever needed, then I wouldn't worry about it and would throw them in the dryer.

• Like 1