Menu

I faced one of my biggest fears this morning...

sweet2ndchance

and killed a nope rope (a.k.a. a snake lol)

Dh's grandma bought me a used chicken house for my baby chicks we just got for my birthday next week but it's still on the trailer behind our truck because I wasn't quite ready for it. I was outside moving things where the chicken house needs to go and raking up piles of leaves when I uncovered a baby snake. No idea really what kind it was because my opinion has always been if you are close enough to know what kind it is, you are too close to the nope rope. lol But we have copperheads and water moccasins around here (in fact the hill we live on is locally known as Copperhead Hill) so the policy is usually kill first find out what kind it is later unless you are sure it is a ring neck or garter snake. Anyways, I had a pickaxe in my hand so I used the flat end to kill it. Then came in told dh I killed my first snake and told him I'm not going back out there until he can come with me lol.

@dmmetler Tell your dd I think she is wonderful with what she does and I wish she could have been here to identify it and possibly save it from its fate. But I did not want it to grow into a full grown venomous nope rope on the very good chance, given where we live, that it was a venomous variety. lol

Unless you live in Florida in the US it's unlikely there's more than a few kinds of venomous snakes in your area.  Copperheads are pretty easy to identify, so are cottonmouths.  You can also tell with a fairly quick glance from the eyes and the shape of the heads, even from a distance, and even with a baby.

You may WANT to learn what a king snake is.  They eat the others so it is helpful to have them around.

• Like 1

Oh, I know what a king snake is, I grew up in AZ but I live in the southern midwest about a day's drive from Florida. I know how to identify a venomous snake from the head and all that business. It's just before today, my go to with snakes was to run in the house and let dh deal with it however it needed to be dealt with. With kids and animals around here, venomous snakes are usually shot on sight. Dh usually shoots 2 - 3 a month when we find them on our property during the warmer months of the year. We live on what was an old farm with a pond so we see both water moccasins and copperheads all the time. The rule here is when in doubt, kill it. No snake here is endangered or anything like that. I was just really proud of myself for dealing with it myself instead of running and waking up dh. lol

Edited by sweet2ndchance