Menu

What are your favorites for Early Modern history?

LauraBeth475

We've been using Story of Civilization quite happily.  We will be doing modern next year.  Currently, my kids are 1st, 3rd, and a very accelerated 5th grader.  We all listen to the audio and do the maps together.  The third grader does the oral narrations.  The fifth grader does the quiz book.  Then they do additional reading at their own level using books from Connecting with History, Sonlight, WTM, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

We love Human Odyssey for world history and History of Us concise edition for US History in middle school. Very engaging and well written! We just read, discuss, and write a weekly summary. Probably too much for a 3rd grader though. 

Are there different versions of Human Odyssey?  I’m looking online for this.  And did you have a discussion guide or anything?

53 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

We've been using Story of Civilization quite happily.  We will be doing modern next year.  Currently, my kids are 1st, 3rd, and a very accelerated 5th grader.  We all listen to the audio and do the maps together.  The third grader does the oral narrations.  The fifth grader does the quiz book.  Then they do additional reading at their own level using books from Connecting with History, Sonlight, WTM, etc.

We’re listening to these audiobooks in the car right now and I really like them. I found them on Scribd.

8 hours ago, LauraBeth475 said:

Are there different versions of Human Odyssey?  I’m looking online for this.  And did you have a discussion guide or anything?

I used the 3 volume series of textbooks published by K12 and just bought used from amazon. The first volume does ancients up to 1400, the 2nd book does 1400 up to WW I, and the 3rd book does WW I to the present. I don't use a discussion guide, I just ask them to tell me about what they found interesting. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I used the 3 volume series of textbooks published by K12 and just bought used from amazon. The first volume does ancients up to 1400, the 2nd book does 1400 up to WW I, and the 3rd book does WW I to the present. I don't use a discussion guide, I just ask them to tell me about what they found interesting. 

I found a sample of the second book here on christianbook.  Anyone know where I can see a table of contents or something for book three?

Edited to add:  How readable are these books?  Do they do a pretty good job of finding a narrative thread in each chapter?

Edited by LauraBeth475

10 hours ago, LauraBeth475 said:

I found a sample of the second book here on christianbook.  Anyone know where I can see a table of contents or something for book three?

Edited to add:  How readable are these books?  Do they do a pretty good job of finding a narrative thread in each chapter?

I'm kinda surprised they're on Christian book, as they are secular. Are they the same ones as these links?

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

For the record, I am a conservative Christian and I have no problem with these books at all. They are extremely readable and interesting and engaging!

• Like 1

Have you ever looked at Tapestry of Grace? My strong readers just LOVE how the history and lit reinforce each other. They find both history and lit so much more engaging that way. Plus, there are online co-ops (translation: free if you teach some weeks) for TOG as well as online classes since it is a discussion rich curriculum.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, Momto6inIN said:

I'm kinda surprised they're on Christian book, as they are secular. Are they the same ones as these links?

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

For the record, I am a conservative Christian and I have no problem with these books at all. They are extremely readable and interesting and engaging!

Yep, the same books.  Christianbook.com sells a lot of secular materials popular with homeschoolers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, carrierocha said:

Have you ever looked at Tapestry of Grace? My strong readers just LOVE how the history and lit reinforce each other. They find both history and lit so much more engaging that way. Plus, there are online co-ops (translation: free if you teach some weeks) for TOG as well as online classes since it is a discussion rich curriculum.

I’ve been considering TOG for next year. My hesitation is that the rhetoric level books all seem to be the same - and very dull at that. I’m assuming that hasn’t been your experience? Can you tell me about those books and why your kiddos have enjoyed them? I’m speaking mostly about the Norton history books.