Menu

Does your dog bother fish in your backyard pond?

Nart

My fifth grader build a pond in our backyard with a pump, waterfall, and fish. I was surprised how well it turned out. The downside is that we have a beagle that stands at the edge of the pond and watches the fish. If one ventures into the shallow end of the pond, she pounces and has managed to catch and kill at least one fish that we know of. I think she might have gotten a couple of other fish as well. If she doesn't catch a fish she ends up getting wet and sometimes muddy then will try and come into the house. I didn't know that beagles would be interested in fish. We have a swimming pool and she has never been interested in getting into the pool, so I assumed she didn't like water. My son just emptied the pond, and is digging so the pond will be deeper, but we aren't sure if this is going to solve the problem. One positive thing is that the pond has been keeping her very entertained. We joke that it is like she has her own entertainment channel now.  

Anyone else whose dog likes watching fish in a pond? 

I’m afraid that I have no advice to offer.  We have a beagle as well...I have yet to find anything that doesn’t interest her 😊...May I just say that your post brought me a smile first thing this morning?

Your son sounds mighty hard-working.  Poor kid!  

Our current dog wouldn't be the least bit interested, because fish aren't me. I'm the only thing he's truly interested in. Several of our former dogs would have been mesmerized by fish, and would absolutely have gone fishing as often as possible. I hope you find a good solution for all concerned!

9 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Our current dog wouldn't be the least bit interested, because fish aren't me. I'm the only thing he's truly interested in. Several of our former dogs would have been mesmerized by fish, and would absolutely have gone fishing as often as possible. I hope you find a good solution for all concerned!

Yup. 

It is just so breed and dog variable. 

I'm guessing fish are the closest thing to rabbits your beagle has to chase. 

• Like 1

He'll also find any neighborhood cats or dogs, possums, and raccoons are quite interested. We have two frog ponds, and they definitely garner a lot of interest of the mammalian kind. 

• Like 1