Menu

Books for earth/astronomy?

Anyone have suggestions or a good booklist for earth/astronomy at a middle school level? 🙂 Real books, living books, non-fiction, book books. Not so much curricula unless it's a gem. 

I'm trying to build a solid set for my book dragon and most of what I'm finding is lower elementary or high school. She'll be 7th grade by age and strongly averse to the typical science schoolbook and experiments. The "read through this large pile of books and discuss it with Mom" method is her jam. 

• 2 weeks later...

H A Rey (of Curious George fame) wrote two picture books on Astronomy: The Stars (which is apparently what they start with at MIT in Astronomy) and Finding the Constellations. I love astronomy, and I found The Stars fascinating, but it is at a very high level. It is essentially an intro college course in picture book form. But it may be perfect for a kid with a real interest. 

For my 4th grader, we used Finding the Constellations as a supplement to MP astronomy. I liked that one, and it's clearly written for kids. I also bought an augmented reality star gazing app so we would always know which stars we were looking at and be able to make the books we were reading come alive a little better.

• Like 1

Yay! Ideas! 😂 I'll look them up. 🙂

From her older siblings I know I have a few biographies, and the Stephen and Lucy Hawking series. 365 Starry Nights. From what I can remember it's going to last her a month at best. Kid #5 and she's reading me out of house and home. 🤷😄

Edited by SilverMoon

• 1 month later...

If you are not YE: "Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe" was thoroughly enjoyed by my older.  Not a children's book.  I'm kicked out of the living room at the moment b/c of online lessons; when I can get back in, I'll add in his favorite recent astronomy book -- it was very picture-oriented AND had cool science. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, serendipitous journey said:

If you are not YE: "Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe" was thoroughly enjoyed by my older.  Not a children's book.  I'm kicked out of the living room at the moment b/c of online lessons; when I can get back in, I'll add in his favorite recent astronomy book -- it was very picture-oriented AND had cool science. 

Well, THAT took me forever!  Sorry. 

Here's the recommendation: Cosmic Menagerie.  It was a gift from a relative.  Another book, with more reviews and by the same author, is Atlas of the Universe -- this one is on my wishlist. 

• Thanks 1

My older kid who really loves Astronomy liked Isaac Asimov's Guide to Earth and Space, which has a good Google preview here, and you could contrast it with several challenging real world activities such as "build a telescope" or "make her own planisphere" or some sort of long running observational project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am building an earth/astronomy/meteorology course for my high schooler and middle schooler for next year.

This on classical astronomy is fantastic: https://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Understanding-Elements-Classical-Astronomy/dp/097922110

We are going to use Eric Sloane’s book on weather as it is meaty, for a non textbook, but visually engaging.

We are also going to get a Roadside Geology book for our state.

That’s what I have so far

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carrierocha said:

I am building an earth/astronomy/meteorology course for my high schooler and middle schooler for next year.

This on classical astronomy is fantastic: https://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Understanding-Elements-Classical-Astronomy/dp/097922110

We are going to use Eric Sloane’s book on weather as it is meaty, for a non textbook, but visually engaging.

We are also going to get a Roadside Geology book for our state.

That’s what I have so far

I hadn't heard of roadside geology! I'm taking notes.